Oct 10, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
For the first time since May 22, 2009, Nikolai Khabibulin will play for the Chicago Blackhawks in a game that counts. He will get the nod on Friday against the New York Islanders, according to CSN Chicago.
The 40-year-old goaltender agreed to a one-year contract over the summer to serve as Corey Crawford‘s understudy. This is Khabibulin’s second stint with the Blackhawks as he winds down a career that’s already spanned 795 NHL games.
Although Khabibulin isn’t likely to challenge Crawford for the starting job after the younger netminder won the Stanley Cup and inked a six-year, $36 million extension, Khabibulin should still play a significant role on the team. Crawford has never played in more than 57 NHL contests in a single season and Chicago will participate in 18 sets of back-to-back games in 2013-14.
That being said, Khabibulin emphasized in September that he will be comfortable with whatever role the Blackhawks give him.
He had a 2.54 GAA and .923 save percentage in 12 games with Edmonton last season.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)