Oct 10, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
News and notes from the crease…
Carolina rolls with Anton
Interesting development out of Washington as the ‘Canes will start Anton Khudobin against the Caps in a Metropolitan Division matchup.
It’ll mark the second time Khudobin has started in four games and, perhaps even more interestingly, the move has created a goaltending rotation to start the year. Cam Ward started the season opener (3-2 OT loss to Detroit), then Khudobin started the second game, a 2-1 win over Philly.
Ward was back in goal on Tuesday, a 5-2 loss to Pittsburgh. ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller said the decision to start Khudobin against Washington has nothing to do with Ward allowing five goals on 37 shots against the Pens.
“It was the tentative plan before (the season) started for the first few games,” Muller told the Raleigh News & Observer. “Despite the results of the game the other night we were going with (Khudobin).
“Hopefully he can carry on the way he did last game.”
This’ll be an interesting battle to follow, if only for the disparity in salaries. Ward carries a $6.3 million cap hit while Khudobin signed with Carolina this summer on a one-year deal worth $800,000.
Budaj in for Habs
Budaj, 31, is coming off a solid 2013 campaign, one in which he posted an 8-1-1 record with a 2.29 GAA and .908 save percentage in relief of Carey Price.
The former Colorado ‘tender is one of the league’s more intriguing backups. Price has struggled with his form in recent seasons and isn’t off to a tremendous start this year, going just 1-2-0 with a 2.70 GAA and .907 save percentage.
Harding replaces Backstrom
Josh Harding will make his first start of the season tonight against Winnipeg.
Harding, 29, came on in relief of injured starter Niklas Backstrom during Tuesday’s 3-2 loss to Nashville and played well, stopping 19 of 20 shots.
Darcy Kuemper, the club’s young goaltending prospect from AHL Iowa, has been recalled to back up Harding against the Jets.
– Jonathan Bernier gets a second straight start for Toronto on Thursday against Nashville.
– Jacob Markstrom’s in for Florida against Tampa Bay, as Tim Thomas is out with a groin injury.
– Jets backup Al Montoya will get a game soon, possibly tonight against the Wild.
– The goalie rotation continues in Anaheim as the Ducks will go back to Jonas Hiller tonight against the Rangers.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)