Oct 10, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Stan Smyl decades of service to the Vancouver Canucks has taken another turn with the former team captain being selected to serve as the franchise’s new Director of Player Development.
Smyl was drafted by Vancouver in 1978 and spent his entire 896-game NHL career with the squad. After he ended his career, he joined the team as an assistant coach before eventually becoming a bench boss in the minors. He later shifted to Vancouver’s front office and has held his latest position before.
More recently he’s been serving as a senior advisor to GM Mike Gillis and he will retain that role in addition to his new duties.
“We are thrilled to expand his role to have him work closely with our prospects,” said Gillis. “Stan embodies hard work and has shown an unwavering commitment to excellence. We look forward to having him instill these qualities in our prospects as they develop on and off the ice.”
Smyl still ranks fourth on the Canucks’ franchise list with 262 goals and fifth with 673 points.
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)