Oct 10, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Things don’t appear to be getting any better between the Capitals and Martin Erat.
Erat, demoted to fourth-line duty through the first three games of the season, has already voiced his displeasure about how he’s being utilized in Washington’s offense.
Now, the trade talks have begun.
CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley asked Erat if he’s considered the possibility of asking out of Washington, to which the Czech forward replied “no, not yet.”
“I know what I can do,” Erat continued. “We’ll see what happens.”
It’s a fairly cryptic response from a guy that isn’t happy, isn’t trying to hide the fact and — oh yeah! — has a history with demanding trades, having forced his way out of Nashville.
Erat told CSN he’s spoken to head coach Adam Oates about his role, but it doesn’t seem as though anything’s on the verge of changing, meaning Erat could find himself averaging around eight minutes a game (down from the 18:55 he averaged for Nashville last season) for the foreseeable future.
Further complicating matters is Erat’s contract status. He has two seasons left on a seven-year, $31.5 million deal that carries an average annual cap hit of $4.5 million.
Any potential deal — and remember, Erat’s on record saying he hasn’t contemplated a trade request yet — would seemingly be tough to pull off, considering Erat turns 33 next year, and it’s safe to say teams wouldn’t be enamored by the prospect of adding a 33-year-old fourth-liner eating up nearly $5 million in cap space.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)