Oct 10, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Things don’t appear to be getting any better between the Capitals and Martin Erat.
Erat, demoted to fourth-line duty through the first three games of the season, has already voiced his displeasure about how he’s being utilized in Washington’s offense.
Now, the trade talks have begun.
CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley asked Erat if he’s considered the possibility of asking out of Washington, to which the Czech forward replied “no, not yet.”
“I know what I can do,” Erat continued. “We’ll see what happens.”
It’s a fairly cryptic response from a guy that isn’t happy, isn’t trying to hide the fact and — oh yeah! — has a history with demanding trades, having forced his way out of Nashville.
Erat told CSN he’s spoken to head coach Adam Oates about his role, but it doesn’t seem as though anything’s on the verge of changing, meaning Erat could find himself averaging around eight minutes a game (down from the 18:55 he averaged for Nashville last season) for the foreseeable future.
Further complicating matters is Erat’s contract status. He has two seasons left on a seven-year, $31.5 million deal that carries an average annual cap hit of $4.5 million.
Any potential deal — and remember, Erat’s on record saying he hasn’t contemplated a trade request yet — would seemingly be tough to pull off, considering Erat turns 33 next year, and it’s safe to say teams wouldn’t be enamored by the prospect of adding a 33-year-old fourth-liner eating up nearly $5 million in cap space.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)