Oct 10, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Things don’t appear to be getting any better between the Capitals and Martin Erat.
Erat, demoted to fourth-line duty through the first three games of the season, has already voiced his displeasure about how he’s being utilized in Washington’s offense.
Now, the trade talks have begun.
CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley asked Erat if he’s considered the possibility of asking out of Washington, to which the Czech forward replied “no, not yet.”
“I know what I can do,” Erat continued. “We’ll see what happens.”
It’s a fairly cryptic response from a guy that isn’t happy, isn’t trying to hide the fact and — oh yeah! — has a history with demanding trades, having forced his way out of Nashville.
Erat told CSN he’s spoken to head coach Adam Oates about his role, but it doesn’t seem as though anything’s on the verge of changing, meaning Erat could find himself averaging around eight minutes a game (down from the 18:55 he averaged for Nashville last season) for the foreseeable future.
Further complicating matters is Erat’s contract status. He has two seasons left on a seven-year, $31.5 million deal that carries an average annual cap hit of $4.5 million.
Any potential deal — and remember, Erat’s on record saying he hasn’t contemplated a trade request yet — would seemingly be tough to pull off, considering Erat turns 33 next year, and it’s safe to say teams wouldn’t be enamored by the prospect of adding a 33-year-old fourth-liner eating up nearly $5 million in cap space.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)