Oct 10, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
NHL coaches are finding new, potentially insulting ways to praise their players.
Yesterday, Canucks bench boss John Tortorella called David Booth a “weird dude” — adding “it’s good to have weird dudes” — and that was followed by Edmonton’s Dallas Eakins, who praised Ryan Nugent-Hopkins….for resembling a bobblehead.
“The thing I like about Nuge is that he’s a bobblehead,” Eakins said on Wednesday. “I ask him to do something and he nods his head.
“And not only does he nod his head but he goes out and does it.”
Eakins asked Nugent-Hopkins to do plenty on Tuesday night against New Jersey, the 20-year-old’s season debut after missing the first two games of the year with a shoulder ailment.
Nugent-Hopkins played 28:12 in the 5-4 shootout victory, scoring his first goal of the year (on the PP) while registering six shots on goal.
It sounds as though Nuge is OK with being called a bobblehead, so long as it translates into big minutes.
“I don’t think I ever played 28 minutes before. I don’t remember that many minutes in junior. Maybe 25. But I have no idea. They never showed us our ice-time numbers,” he explained. “[Eakins] double-shifted and triple-shifted me.
“I’d be happy to do it again.”
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)