Oct 10, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
The aftermath of Phoenix’s consecutive blowout losses continues.
On Thursday, the club placed Chris Summers on waivers, potentially severing ties to the young defenseman it selected in the first round (29th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Summers, 25, has appeared in 29 career contests for the Coyotes. He’s shuttled back and forth between the parent club and its AHL affiliate in Portland for most of the last two seasons — this year, he made the Coyotes out of camp but had been a healthy scratch in all three games.
The move is just the latest in a flurry of action out of the desert.
On Wednesday, the club looked to “stabilize” its roster by shipping Lucas Lessio and Chris Brown to AHL Portland, recalling veterans Brandon Yip and Tim Kennedy.
Yip, 28, has 172 games of NHL experience on his resume and Kennedy, 27, has 125 — a far cry from the 20-year-old Lessio (three) and 22-year-old Brown (eight).
These moves came in the wake of back-to-back losses to San Jose and the New York Islanders, the latter a 6-1 whipping which was followed by the Coyotes holding a players-only meeting.
In explaining his roster moves, head coach Dave Tippett said his lineup needed more experience.
“Good efforts don’t win hockey games. You’ve got to finds ways to do things right to win hockey games,” he told the Coyotes website. “Both those young guys [Lessio and Brown] had good camps but the last couple games haven’t been as good.
“We’re just looking to stabilize right now with as many veteran guys as we can.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)