Oct 10, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Jan. 21, 2012, was the last time Vancouver managed to defeat San Jose. Since then, the Sharks have beaten the Canucks four times in the regular season, four times in the playoffs, and just for good measure, a pair of times in the preseason.
That makes 10 wins in a row for San Jose. Eight, if you don’t count the preseason. But 10 makes for a better story.
Tonight in Vancouver, the two Pacific Division rivals will meet again, with both sides off to good starts to the 2013-14 season. The Sharks are a perfect 3-0-0 and just embarrassed the Rangers, 9-2. The Canucks have won three straight to move to 3-1-0, their only loss coming to — oh that’s right, San Jose — in the season-opener.
True to form, Vancouver head coach John Tortorella told reporters this morning that he’s focused on his team, not the opponent. (Which if you haven’t heard has beaten the Canucks 10 times in a row. Eight, if you don’t count the preseason.)
“We’re not going to change a whole bunch,” he said, per CSN Bay Area. “There are some faceoff tendencies and special teams is something that we certainly focus on with the other teams because of tendencies there. Other than that, when you’re playing different teams, it’s more important, at least in my mind, to worry about our execution.”
But even Tortorella must know that Sharks forwards Joe Pavelski and Logan Couture have feasted on the Canucks in recent meetings. He must also know that shutting down those two still leaves the likes of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and, of course, Tomas Hertl.
Tortorella, by the way, said he hadn’t seen Hertl’s between-the-legs goal (the one that Adam Oates didn’t particularly care for.)
“Everybody’s talking about the goal, and I haven’t seen it,” Tortorella said.
“I’m not going to comment on another team’s player. It’s not fair, one way or another. But, I haven’t even seen the play.”
Update: Get a load of what Joe Thornton said he’d do if he ever scored four goals in a game. (Warning: adult content)
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)