Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
Jonathan Bernier has been waiting for a chance to prove that he’s capable of being a starting goaltender in the NHL. He couldn’t do that behind Jonathan Quick in Los Angeles, but he’s taking full advantage of the opportunity he’s been given as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Bernier turned aside 36 shots, including 17 in the second period alone to earn his seventh career shutout and lead Toronto to a 4-0 victory over the Nashville Predators.
The 25-year-old netminder has been nearly unbeatable so far. In four games, he’s posted a 0.85 GAA and .974 save percentage, making him one of the primary reasons that Toronto is off to a 4-1-0 start.
Of course, he didn’t win this one alone. Phil Kessel scored a goal and registered two assists. The Maple Leafs also widened their lead with two power-play goals in the third period courtesy of Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul.
When this season began, Bernier and James Reimer were expected to compete for the starting gig. Bernier has pulled away in that race, but the campaign is still young. Reimer will get another chance, although after what happened tonight it wouldn’t be surprising to see Bernier start again on Saturday against the Edmonton Oilers.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 6
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)