Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier has been waiting for a chance to prove that he’s capable of being a starting goaltender in the NHL. He couldn’t do that behind Jonathan Quick in Los Angeles, but he’s taking full advantage of the opportunity he’s been given as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Bernier turned aside 36 shots, including 17 in the second period alone to earn his seventh career shutout and lead Toronto to a 4-0 victory over the Nashville Predators.
The 25-year-old netminder has been nearly unbeatable so far. In four games, he’s posted a 0.85 GAA and .974 save percentage, making him one of the primary reasons that Toronto is off to a 4-1-0 start.
Of course, he didn’t win this one alone. Phil Kessel scored a goal and registered two assists. The Maple Leafs also widened their lead with two power-play goals in the third period courtesy of Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul.
When this season began, Bernier and James Reimer were expected to compete for the starting gig. Bernier has pulled away in that race, but the campaign is still young. Reimer will get another chance, although after what happened tonight it wouldn’t be surprising to see Bernier start again on Saturday against the Edmonton Oilers.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)