Oct 9, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
One could understand if the Minnesota Wild and star winger Zach Parise felt frustrated about the team’s 0-2-1 start.
That appears to be the case, although the 29-year-old forward insists to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that their play has been better than the results.
“I think we’re still playing good hockey,” Parise said. “It would be one thing if we came to the rink and had no chance to win any of those games. But that’s not the case. We just need to be a little sharper in different areas. We’re still in a good mood; everyone is still in good spirits. We’re just frustrated that we haven’t won.”
The deeper numbers back up Parise’s sentiment.
Minnesota is averaging almost 10 more shots per game (26.1) than they’re allowing (16.8) so far.
Those low (but so-far-dominant) shot numbers probably aren’t going to inspire people to stop tormenting head coach Mike Yeo with trap/boring hockey talk, but if the Wild keep playing this way, the bounces should start getting friendlier.
That being said, goaltending can make a huge difference, and their situation is more than a little fragile.
It’s tough to blame them for staying positive considering how often they’re driving play, though.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)