Oct 9, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
One could understand if the Minnesota Wild and star winger Zach Parise felt frustrated about the team’s 0-2-1 start.
That appears to be the case, although the 29-year-old forward insists to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that their play has been better than the results.
“I think we’re still playing good hockey,” Parise said. “It would be one thing if we came to the rink and had no chance to win any of those games. But that’s not the case. We just need to be a little sharper in different areas. We’re still in a good mood; everyone is still in good spirits. We’re just frustrated that we haven’t won.”
The deeper numbers back up Parise’s sentiment.
Minnesota is averaging almost 10 more shots per game (26.1) than they’re allowing (16.8) so far.
Those low (but so-far-dominant) shot numbers probably aren’t going to inspire people to stop tormenting head coach Mike Yeo with trap/boring hockey talk, but if the Wild keep playing this way, the bounces should start getting friendlier.
That being said, goaltending can make a huge difference, and their situation is more than a little fragile.
It’s tough to blame them for staying positive considering how often they’re driving play, though.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)