Oct 9, 2013, 11:06 PM EST
One could understand if the Minnesota Wild and star winger Zach Parise felt frustrated about the team’s 0-2-1 start.
That appears to be the case, although the 29-year-old forward insists to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that their play has been better than the results.
“I think we’re still playing good hockey,” Parise said. “It would be one thing if we came to the rink and had no chance to win any of those games. But that’s not the case. We just need to be a little sharper in different areas. We’re still in a good mood; everyone is still in good spirits. We’re just frustrated that we haven’t won.”
The deeper numbers back up Parise’s sentiment.
Minnesota is averaging almost 10 more shots per game (26.1) than they’re allowing (16.8) so far.
Those low (but so-far-dominant) shot numbers probably aren’t going to inspire people to stop tormenting head coach Mike Yeo with trap/boring hockey talk, but if the Wild keep playing this way, the bounces should start getting friendlier.
That being said, goaltending can make a huge difference, and their situation is more than a little fragile.
It’s tough to blame them for staying positive considering how often they’re driving play, though.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)