Oct 9, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
One could understand if the Minnesota Wild and star winger Zach Parise felt frustrated about the team’s 0-2-1 start.
That appears to be the case, although the 29-year-old forward insists to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that their play has been better than the results.
“I think we’re still playing good hockey,” Parise said. “It would be one thing if we came to the rink and had no chance to win any of those games. But that’s not the case. We just need to be a little sharper in different areas. We’re still in a good mood; everyone is still in good spirits. We’re just frustrated that we haven’t won.”
The deeper numbers back up Parise’s sentiment.
Minnesota is averaging almost 10 more shots per game (26.1) than they’re allowing (16.8) so far.
Those low (but so-far-dominant) shot numbers probably aren’t going to inspire people to stop tormenting head coach Mike Yeo with trap/boring hockey talk, but if the Wild keep playing this way, the bounces should start getting friendlier.
That being said, goaltending can make a huge difference, and their situation is more than a little fragile.
It’s tough to blame them for staying positive considering how often they’re driving play, though.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)