Oct 9, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
One could understand if the Minnesota Wild and star winger Zach Parise felt frustrated about the team’s 0-2-1 start.
That appears to be the case, although the 29-year-old forward insists to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that their play has been better than the results.
“I think we’re still playing good hockey,” Parise said. “It would be one thing if we came to the rink and had no chance to win any of those games. But that’s not the case. We just need to be a little sharper in different areas. We’re still in a good mood; everyone is still in good spirits. We’re just frustrated that we haven’t won.”
The deeper numbers back up Parise’s sentiment.
Minnesota is averaging almost 10 more shots per game (26.1) than they’re allowing (16.8) so far.
Those low (but so-far-dominant) shot numbers probably aren’t going to inspire people to stop tormenting head coach Mike Yeo with trap/boring hockey talk, but if the Wild keep playing this way, the bounces should start getting friendlier.
That being said, goaltending can make a huge difference, and their situation is more than a little fragile.
It’s tough to blame them for staying positive considering how often they’re driving play, though.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)