Oct 9, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Backstrom, lasted just 11:14 against the Nashville Predators during Tuesday night’s 3-2 loss, surrendering two goals on five shots. He sustained the injury when Nashville forward Eric Nystrom crashed into him and seemed to accidentally jam Backstrom’s leg against the post.
That collision forced the Finnish netminder from the contest, forcing backup Josh Harding into action. Harding performed well in relief, stopping 19 of 20 shots.
Harding’s performance was key, because he could be called into duty again.
Minnesota plays next at home against the Jets on Thursday, then again at Xcel on Saturday vs. Dallas. After that, the Wild embark on a four-game road trip through Buffalo, Toronto, Tampa Bay and Florida that will see them play four games in six nights.
It’ll be interesting to see how Backstrom recovers from this latest injury. The Wild took a gamble by re-signing him to a three-year, $10.25 million deal in July, just months after he suffered a sports hernia that forced him to miss the entire opening playoff round against Chicago.
What’s more, Backstrom turns 36 in February.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)