Oct 9, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Backstrom, lasted just 11:14 against the Nashville Predators during Tuesday night’s 3-2 loss, surrendering two goals on five shots. He sustained the injury when Nashville forward Eric Nystrom crashed into him and seemed to accidentally jam Backstrom’s leg against the post.
That collision forced the Finnish netminder from the contest, forcing backup Josh Harding into action. Harding performed well in relief, stopping 19 of 20 shots.
Harding’s performance was key, because he could be called into duty again.
Minnesota plays next at home against the Jets on Thursday, then again at Xcel on Saturday vs. Dallas. After that, the Wild embark on a four-game road trip through Buffalo, Toronto, Tampa Bay and Florida that will see them play four games in six nights.
It’ll be interesting to see how Backstrom recovers from this latest injury. The Wild took a gamble by re-signing him to a three-year, $10.25 million deal in July, just months after he suffered a sports hernia that forced him to miss the entire opening playoff round against Chicago.
What’s more, Backstrom turns 36 in February.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)