Oct 9, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Backstrom, lasted just 11:14 against the Nashville Predators during Tuesday night’s 3-2 loss, surrendering two goals on five shots. He sustained the injury when Nashville forward Eric Nystrom crashed into him and seemed to accidentally jam Backstrom’s leg against the post.
That collision forced the Finnish netminder from the contest, forcing backup Josh Harding into action. Harding performed well in relief, stopping 19 of 20 shots.
Harding’s performance was key, because he could be called into duty again.
Minnesota plays next at home against the Jets on Thursday, then again at Xcel on Saturday vs. Dallas. After that, the Wild embark on a four-game road trip through Buffalo, Toronto, Tampa Bay and Florida that will see them play four games in six nights.
It’ll be interesting to see how Backstrom recovers from this latest injury. The Wild took a gamble by re-signing him to a three-year, $10.25 million deal in July, just months after he suffered a sports hernia that forced him to miss the entire opening playoff round against Chicago.
What’s more, Backstrom turns 36 in February.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)