Oct 9, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Backstrom, lasted just 11:14 against the Nashville Predators during Tuesday night’s 3-2 loss, surrendering two goals on five shots. He sustained the injury when Nashville forward Eric Nystrom crashed into him and seemed to accidentally jam Backstrom’s leg against the post.
That collision forced the Finnish netminder from the contest, forcing backup Josh Harding into action. Harding performed well in relief, stopping 19 of 20 shots.
Harding’s performance was key, because he could be called into duty again.
Minnesota plays next at home against the Jets on Thursday, then again at Xcel on Saturday vs. Dallas. After that, the Wild embark on a four-game road trip through Buffalo, Toronto, Tampa Bay and Florida that will see them play four games in six nights.
It’ll be interesting to see how Backstrom recovers from this latest injury. The Wild took a gamble by re-signing him to a three-year, $10.25 million deal in July, just months after he suffered a sports hernia that forced him to miss the entire opening playoff round against Chicago.
What’s more, Backstrom turns 36 in February.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 0
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)