Oct 9, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
Backstrom, lasted just 11:14 against the Nashville Predators during Tuesday night’s 3-2 loss, surrendering two goals on five shots. He sustained the injury when Nashville forward Eric Nystrom crashed into him and seemed to accidentally jam Backstrom’s leg against the post.
That collision forced the Finnish netminder from the contest, forcing backup Josh Harding into action. Harding performed well in relief, stopping 19 of 20 shots.
Harding’s performance was key, because he could be called into duty again.
Minnesota plays next at home against the Jets on Thursday, then again at Xcel on Saturday vs. Dallas. After that, the Wild embark on a four-game road trip through Buffalo, Toronto, Tampa Bay and Florida that will see them play four games in six nights.
It’ll be interesting to see how Backstrom recovers from this latest injury. The Wild took a gamble by re-signing him to a three-year, $10.25 million deal in July, just months after he suffered a sports hernia that forced him to miss the entire opening playoff round against Chicago.
What’s more, Backstrom turns 36 in February.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 0
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 23
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 9
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 38
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)