Oct 9, 2013, 1:35 AM EST
San Jose’s Tomas Hertl might just be ready for life in the NHL.
After finding the back of the net twice in his second career game, the 19-year-old Czech forward followed it up with a four-goal night against the New York Rangers. That alone is such an impressive feat that it’s difficult to put into context, but his highlight reel fourth goal alone would have been enough to earn him heaps of praise.
He’s the youngest player to get four goals in a single game since Jimmy Carson in 1988, according to the the NHL Public Relations’ Twitter feed. Jamie Baker pointed out that he also became the first Sharks player to ever score five, let alone six, goals in his first three contests with the team.
But citing his statistical accomplishments doesn’t do his night justice. It would be much better to simply show you what he did:
Of course, Hertl’s night was part of a larger 9-2 slaughter of the New York Rangers. It’s a night where they can’t really take away any positives. On top of everything else, star forward Rick Nash suffered a potential concussion when he was hit by Brad Stuart.
“I have a headache,” Nash admitted, according to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks. “It got worse. It was a head shot. I’m concerned the way it feels.”
Rangers captain Ryan Callahan and goaltender Henrik Lundqvist both felt embarrassed by what happened tonight, according to the team’s Twitter feed, but they need to put this behind them and try to bounce back on Thursday against the Anaheim Ducks. At the same time, the Sharks will aim to build off of their early season momentum versus the Vancouver Canucks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Has missed the first 35 games of the season.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Boston’s Matt Fraser also on the waiver wire.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Anton Forsberg reassigned to Springfield.
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 0
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 69
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)