Oct 9, 2013, 1:35 AM EDT
San Jose’s Tomas Hertl might just be ready for life in the NHL.
After finding the back of the net twice in his second career game, the 19-year-old Czech forward followed it up with a four-goal night against the New York Rangers. That alone is such an impressive feat that it’s difficult to put into context, but his highlight reel fourth goal alone would have been enough to earn him heaps of praise.
He’s the youngest player to get four goals in a single game since Jimmy Carson in 1988, according to the the NHL Public Relations’ Twitter feed. Jamie Baker pointed out that he also became the first Sharks player to ever score five, let alone six, goals in his first three contests with the team.
But citing his statistical accomplishments doesn’t do his night justice. It would be much better to simply show you what he did:
Of course, Hertl’s night was part of a larger 9-2 slaughter of the New York Rangers. It’s a night where they can’t really take away any positives. On top of everything else, star forward Rick Nash suffered a potential concussion when he was hit by Brad Stuart.
“I have a headache,” Nash admitted, according to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks. “It got worse. It was a head shot. I’m concerned the way it feels.”
Rangers captain Ryan Callahan and goaltender Henrik Lundqvist both felt embarrassed by what happened tonight, according to the team’s Twitter feed, but they need to put this behind them and try to bounce back on Thursday against the Anaheim Ducks. At the same time, the Sharks will aim to build off of their early season momentum versus the Vancouver Canucks.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
May 28, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
The former led Canada to gold at the most recent World Junior tourney.
May 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s expected to be ready for the start of training camp.
May 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Both forwards are New Jersey draft picks.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
His contract will expire after 2015-16.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 3
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 13
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)