Oct 9, 2013, 1:35 AM EDT
San Jose’s Tomas Hertl might just be ready for life in the NHL.
After finding the back of the net twice in his second career game, the 19-year-old Czech forward followed it up with a four-goal night against the New York Rangers. That alone is such an impressive feat that it’s difficult to put into context, but his highlight reel fourth goal alone would have been enough to earn him heaps of praise.
He’s the youngest player to get four goals in a single game since Jimmy Carson in 1988, according to the the NHL Public Relations’ Twitter feed. Jamie Baker pointed out that he also became the first Sharks player to ever score five, let alone six, goals in his first three contests with the team.
But citing his statistical accomplishments doesn’t do his night justice. It would be much better to simply show you what he did:
Of course, Hertl’s night was part of a larger 9-2 slaughter of the New York Rangers. It’s a night where they can’t really take away any positives. On top of everything else, star forward Rick Nash suffered a potential concussion when he was hit by Brad Stuart.
“I have a headache,” Nash admitted, according to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks. “It got worse. It was a head shot. I’m concerned the way it feels.”
Rangers captain Ryan Callahan and goaltender Henrik Lundqvist both felt embarrassed by what happened tonight, according to the team’s Twitter feed, but they need to put this behind them and try to bounce back on Thursday against the Anaheim Ducks. At the same time, the Sharks will aim to build off of their early season momentum versus the Vancouver Canucks.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Has Buffalo set itself up for an era of long playoff runs?
Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
At one point he was listed as the top European skater in the 2015 draft.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT
The Flyers also have forwards Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier locked up.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
The 37-year-old still wants to continue his career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Along with Yao Ming.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
“Nobody benefits from a short-term deal like this, in particular, our hockey department.”
Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Vancouver wasting little time locking up the target of Tuesday’s trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Boston could use some depth on its back end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for Friday at 9 a.m. ET.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Alleged incident involved a female victim.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
As opposed to just his skill.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Will he live up to his next contract?
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
“It really wasn’t about Dainius himself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
His collection can be had for $5.7 million.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)