Oct 9, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain on Wednesday when they take on the Kings at Staples.
Jason Spezza will be held out of the lineup as a precautionary measure for his injured groin, the team announced this afternoon. Spezza took the morning skate but, after a lengthy talk with head coach Paul MacLean, opted to miss this evening’s tilt.
Spezza said that given the choice, he would’ve played. MacLean also suggested as much, saying this decision was more about injury management than the captain not being healthy enough to participate.
Spezza, 30, has one goal in two games this season and is averaging 18:05 TOI per game.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 31
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 66
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 25
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51