Oct 9, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain on Wednesday when they take on the Kings at Staples.
Jason Spezza will be held out of the lineup as a precautionary measure for his injured groin, the team announced this afternoon. Spezza took the morning skate but, after a lengthy talk with head coach Paul MacLean, opted to miss this evening’s tilt.
Spezza said that given the choice, he would’ve played. MacLean also suggested as much, saying this decision was more about injury management than the captain not being healthy enough to participate.
Spezza, 30, has one goal in two games this season and is averaging 18:05 TOI per game.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8