Oct 9, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain on Wednesday when they take on the Kings at Staples.
Jason Spezza will be held out of the lineup as a precautionary measure for his injured groin, the team announced this afternoon. Spezza took the morning skate but, after a lengthy talk with head coach Paul MacLean, opted to miss this evening’s tilt.
Spezza said that given the choice, he would’ve played. MacLean also suggested as much, saying this decision was more about injury management than the captain not being healthy enough to participate.
Spezza, 30, has one goal in two games this season and is averaging 18:05 TOI per game.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 42
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 1
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (44)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)