Oct 9, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain on Wednesday when they take on the Kings at Staples.
Jason Spezza will be held out of the lineup as a precautionary measure for his injured groin, the team announced this afternoon. Spezza took the morning skate but, after a lengthy talk with head coach Paul MacLean, opted to miss this evening’s tilt.
Spezza said that given the choice, he would’ve played. MacLean also suggested as much, saying this decision was more about injury management than the captain not being healthy enough to participate.
Spezza, 30, has one goal in two games this season and is averaging 18:05 TOI per game.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)