Oct 9, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Here’s the explanation video:
Shanahan’s description implies that the league has few problems with the hit, but drills him because there was contact to the head, Stuart seemingly angled upward to deliver the hit and Nash was injured.
OK, let’s face it; a huge part of the motivation was that Nash was the target. He’s been a huge asset for the Rangers and missed four games last season because of a concussion.
Stuart will be eligible to return to action for an Oct. 17 road game against the Dallas Stars. The suspension costs the 33-year-old blueliner $55,384.62.
This isn’t the first suspension of Stuart’s career, but it’s been long enough that he isn’t considered a repeat offender by the NHL’s standards. That doesn’t mean he’s been shy about delivering huge checks, though.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 69
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 54
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (70)