Oct 9, 2013, 8:51 PM EDT
Here’s the explanation video:
Shanahan’s description implies that the league has few problems with the hit, but drills him because there was contact to the head, Stuart seemingly angled upward to deliver the hit and Nash was injured.
OK, let’s face it; a huge part of the motivation was that Nash was the target. He’s been a huge asset for the Rangers and missed four games last season because of a concussion.
Stuart will be eligible to return to action for an Oct. 17 road game against the Dallas Stars. The suspension costs the 33-year-old blueliner $55,384.62.
This isn’t the first suspension of Stuart’s career, but it’s been long enough that he isn’t considered a repeat offender by the NHL’s standards. That doesn’t mean he’s been shy about delivering huge checks, though.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 13
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 28
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42