Oct 9, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
In what promises to be a season-long dance, the Maple Leafs recalled a trio from the AHL Marlies on Wednesday — David Broll, Josh Leivo and T.J. Brennan — while sending back Jamie Devane and Trevor Smith, who were brought up on Monday.
Because Toronto is nudged right up against the salary cap ceiling, the club is expected shuffle players on and off the active roster for much of the season. Earlier this season, Leafs GM Dave Nonis even suggested the team could, on occasion, carry a 20- or 21-man roster — down from the maximum 23 — just in an effort to get cap compliant.
Of the three newest recalls, Brennan is the most intriguing. The former Buffalo blueliner has six points in his first two games with the Marlies and could draw into the lineup.
As for Devane and Smith, the former played just 4:51 in a 2-1 loss to Colorado on Tuesday, and the latter didn’t dress.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 4
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 32
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)