Oct 9, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
In what promises to be a season-long dance, the Maple Leafs recalled a trio from the AHL Marlies on Wednesday — David Broll, Josh Leivo and T.J. Brennan — while sending back Jamie Devane and Trevor Smith, who were brought up on Monday.
Because Toronto is nudged right up against the salary cap ceiling, the club is expected shuffle players on and off the active roster for much of the season. Earlier this season, Leafs GM Dave Nonis even suggested the team could, on occasion, carry a 20- or 21-man roster — down from the maximum 23 — just in an effort to get cap compliant.
Of the three newest recalls, Brennan is the most intriguing. The former Buffalo blueliner has six points in his first two games with the Marlies and could draw into the lineup.
As for Devane and Smith, the former played just 4:51 in a 2-1 loss to Colorado on Tuesday, and the latter didn’t dress.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)