Oct 9, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers finally won on Tuesday, but their captain Claude Giroux still doesn’t have a point in 2013-14. Some might assume that he’s suffering from the lingering effects of his offseason hand injury, but he told CSNPhilly.com that it’s more mental than physical.
“The confidence is not there,” Giroux said. “I don’t think it’s the hand — the confidence is just not there. I will be fine. A few bad games, you always have a stretch like that during the season. Going day by day. We have a new system today and guys did a good job working it. It’s an ugly win, but we’ll take it.”
Giroux, 25, has taken 10 shots on goal in four games with no results. He’s also set up his fair share of plays, but for many, the bottom line is that he needs to produce.
New Flyers head coach Craig Berube believes Giroux might be forcing it a bit.
“I think he’s fine, he’s healthy,” Berube said. “I think G is trying a little bit too hard, personally. I think he gives everything he’s got out there. Sometimes it is too much. You try too hard and can’t accomplish the things you want to accomplish.”
Plenty of talented players struggle – remember when it took Phil Kessel 11 games to score a goal in 2013? – so Giroux would be best served to put it out of his mind.
That might not be too easy in a demanding market like Philly, though.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 35
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)