Oct 9, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Colorado Avalanche No. 1 goalie Semyon Varlamov has been absolutely fantastic so far this season, but his well-known backup Jean-Sebastien Giguere will get some action on Thursday, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports.
Giguere, 36, will get a tough assignment in facing the Bruins in Boston tomorrow. He’ll kick off his third season with Colorado, which also counts as a contract year.
Varlamov, 25, will see his current deal expire next summer as well, so both Avalanche goalies have plenty to play for in 2013-14.
Giguere isn’t the star he was for some time in Anaheim, yet he’s served as more than a capable No. 2 in Colorado. He wasn’t as impressive in 2013 (.908 save percentage, 5-4-4 record) as he was in 2011-12, but he seemed to take on a leadership role of sorts for a wayward team. (His teammates probably weren’t crazy about the whole “spilling the beans on the Vegas trip” thing, though.)
“Jiggy” grew up idolizing new Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, so it must be surreal to play for him.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)