Oct 9, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Colorado Avalanche No. 1 goalie Semyon Varlamov has been absolutely fantastic so far this season, but his well-known backup Jean-Sebastien Giguere will get some action on Thursday, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports.
Giguere, 36, will get a tough assignment in facing the Bruins in Boston tomorrow. He’ll kick off his third season with Colorado, which also counts as a contract year.
Varlamov, 25, will see his current deal expire next summer as well, so both Avalanche goalies have plenty to play for in 2013-14.
Giguere isn’t the star he was for some time in Anaheim, yet he’s served as more than a capable No. 2 in Colorado. He wasn’t as impressive in 2013 (.908 save percentage, 5-4-4 record) as he was in 2011-12, but he seemed to take on a leadership role of sorts for a wayward team. (His teammates probably weren’t crazy about the whole “spilling the beans on the Vegas trip” thing, though.)
“Jiggy” grew up idolizing new Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, so it must be surreal to play for him.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 16
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)