Oct 9, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Colorado Avalanche No. 1 goalie Semyon Varlamov has been absolutely fantastic so far this season, but his well-known backup Jean-Sebastien Giguere will get some action on Thursday, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports.
Giguere, 36, will get a tough assignment in facing the Bruins in Boston tomorrow. He’ll kick off his third season with Colorado, which also counts as a contract year.
Varlamov, 25, will see his current deal expire next summer as well, so both Avalanche goalies have plenty to play for in 2013-14.
Giguere isn’t the star he was for some time in Anaheim, yet he’s served as more than a capable No. 2 in Colorado. He wasn’t as impressive in 2013 (.908 save percentage, 5-4-4 record) as he was in 2011-12, but he seemed to take on a leadership role of sorts for a wayward team. (His teammates probably weren’t crazy about the whole “spilling the beans on the Vegas trip” thing, though.)
“Jiggy” grew up idolizing new Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, so it must be surreal to play for him.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22