Discuss: Blues top Hawks thanks to Steen’s late goal

Oct 9, 2013, 10:44 PM EDT

During the first intermission, Mike Milbury called Wednesday’s Chicago Blackhawks – St. Louis Blues game a “turf war.” Well, the Blues narrowly won this rumble 3-2.

Let’s gab away:

• How underrated is Alex Steen? He made no mistake on that game-winning goal on a 3-on-1 rush with about 20 seconds left.
  • Jaroslav Halak was a stud tonight, stopping every even-strength shot he saw. He’s in a contract year, so is this the time he’ll really put everything together? If so, where do the Blues rank among the NHL’s powers?
  • How would these two teams match up in a playoff series? Chicago’s generally gotten the best of St. Louis recently, but don’t forget that referees tend to put their whistles away, which would probably benefit the Blues.
  • Corey Crawford deserves some credit for strong play, too. Can the glove hand talk stop yet?
  • Which West and East teams stack up best against these two contenders? Did we just watch the two best teams in the NHL duke it out?
  • Are there any moments that you believe left the ‘Hawks kicking themselves after this loss?
  • Any worries about the Blues’ PK? It’s worth noting that they were perfect before tonight, when they allowed two lightning-fast Chicago PP goals.

1. bigoldorcafromvan - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I knew Hitchcock could find a way to play the Hawks game. Well done Blues and anybody that beats the Hawks.

2. blackhawks2010 - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Solid win for Blues, even game could of went either way. Glad to see Blues stepping up, hasn’t been much of a rivalry in years.

Some cheap stuff by Blues, but to be expected. Go Hawks!

• cardsandbluesforever - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM

idk why anyone is down voting your comment unless its butt-hurt blackhawks fans.
      and thank you for the recognition, I remember the old black and blue days, I hope it gets like that again, it was fun as hell no matter what side you were on.

• orionhepler - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I am new to this discussion stuff, so hopefully you all will be easy on me. Ha. Only thing I didn’t care for in blackhawks2010’s post was “some cheap stuff by Blues, but to be expected.” It IS a rivalry. To old school fans anyway. In rivalries, I think cheap stuff is to be expected by all players on the ice. So by saying it was expected by the Blues but not giving the Hawks any credit for cheap stuff, sounded a bit “butt-hurt” (as cardsandbluesforever put it) to me. There was cheap stuff by both teams. But it’s a rivalry, so why even bring it up? Otherwise, I’m with ya blackhawks2010! And yes, thanks for the recognition. Looking forward to the other meetings this season! Cheers.

• cubsfan101 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM

When you say cheap stuff, do you mean the high hit from Seabrook on Steen or the blatant slash that Toews got away with right before Backes’ goal? Blues got away with some stuff (Sobotka’s hit in the third that led to offsetting minors), but it was nothing like Seabrook’s hit

3. afrancis55 - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Serves those bandwagon hawk “fans” right to see them lose. If you live in St. Louis, Phoenix, Denver, Nasville, etc. you have NO buisness being a blackhawk fan.

• prd797 - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM

What an idiotic statement. People can support whatever damn team they please.

• pxland - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

True. As long as its not buffalo.

I kid, I kid….

• tas750 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Wow….your a tool! Hope you never have to move your trailer to another state, god knowns you’ll never retire to Fl, Ca, Az

• blackhawksdynasty - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM

@afrancis55: I live in Michigan but I’m a hawks fan. I grew up in Chicago and I have a blast “trash talking” with all of my friends here who are Redwings fans. I’m not automatically required to become a Wings fan just because I moved to Michigan. YOU have NO business telling anybody what they can or cannot do.
      Sucks to be you…I’m sure your Cup envy is intolerable.
      It must also suck to have such a crappy fan base that can’t keep all of us diehard Hawks fans out of scottrade center. LMFAO

• comeonnowguys - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I’ll give you credit for trying a new spin on that tired “bandwagon Blackhawk fan” take.

But not much.

4. jessejames182 - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I’m sure the Hawks regret turning the last puck over but that’s just how they play, kudos to the Blues for rushing into the offensive zone quicker than the Hawks could react.

5. zwilhelm16 - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Blues are the best team in the league!

• blackhawksdynasty - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM

It’s been 3 games out of 82….chill out, man

6. drez146 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I thought both goaltenders played very well, this rivalry is very underrated

7. pxland - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Best part about this game…

No loser point.

8. sprtsfan1 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:16 PM

@ afracis55, you’re a waste of space and your ignorant comment proves it. In regard to the game tonight, I can’t wait to watch more! Still think the Blackhawks are the better team with a lot more skill, but in the playoffs, who knows. Can’t wait to see this rivalry turn into what it once was!

9. jhaegs - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Just left the Scottrade Center! Saw the “class” of some BlackCawk fans. One screamed “F!@k the Blues” before he was even seated. Another in the same group yelled “Break his F$&king neck” minutes later. After we yelled at him to tone it down they swiftly got warnings from security. After that a Hawks girl was shoving her jersey in everyone’s face and saying how much the Blues suck. Some Blues fans put her in her place and she left after the 2nd period. A GREAT game on both teams part though. Long Live the Note!

• blackhawksdynasty - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Sorry you had to put up with idiots like that. MOST Chicago fans are passionate but respectful and classy. Unfortunately, the schmucks you saw tonite made the rest of us look bad.

• comeonnowguys - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Breaking news: Every fanbase has terrible fans, Every fan thinks his fanbase is a complete class act.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I was there, I was surrounded by fans of both teams acting like assholes. What’s nearly as irritating as people who go to games to make fools and spectacles of themselves is a person like yourself who somehow convinces him/herself that ONLY fans of one team behave that way.

• bluelinemh - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

just like comeonnowguys said, every fanbase has terrible fans, but i will go out and say that sometimes it just really isnt sports without comments like that. I’m not saying it needs to be said or to that degree, but lets take a fight for instance, are you screaming “defend yourself!!!” or “kick his A$#!” “beat the Sh!& out of him.” Sometimes its just part of the game. But obviously some of you will disagree

10. kaptaanamerica - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I hope someone punches toes or Keith right in the face.

• pxland - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Why? And that’s a serious question. Why do you hope that?

• pxland - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I’d also like to point out that if you can punch toes in the face you might be a ninja…

11. blackhawks2010 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Ah yes, the douchebag Canucks tool stops in to add his 5 cents. Stick to watching your team lose again and again. Players like Toews are above your pay grade.

• micasa81 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM

He is a tool, but he’s just giving you your medicine. You pollute the Canucks posts on a regular basis.

12. drez146 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Also…shattenkirk had a real shaky game almost cost the blues 2 goals if not more buy pinching at the wrong time or just not being aware of the hawks getting in behind him, quite disappointing

• orionhepler - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I thought Shattenkirk had the deer-in-the-headlights look a few times tonight. Not his best performance by far.

13. stakex - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM

A poor play in the offensive zone lead to the goal, but lets be honest…. Crawford has to make that save. That’s one an NHL goalie will stop 9 out of 10 times.

• comeonnowguys - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I’m not faulting a goaltender for playing a 3-on-1 less than perfect.

14. mikemj - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

You’re right, stakex. The team with the better goaltender won tonight.

15. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I’d say at least 75% of the Hawks fans I ran into tonight were being obnoxious. During the NATIONAL ANTHEM, a group of about 30 of them were chanting “Let’s go Blackhawks!”, oh and they left their hats on. I’ve never seen such disrespect. Oddly, they didn’t take the smack talk very well after the game was over…. hmmmmmm

• comeonnowguys - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I wonder how you’ll take it when the Blues exit early from the playoffs again this year.

Goes both ways, as you point out.

16. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:34 AM

There were, however, two nice gentleman from Chicago sitting in front of us; and even two girls in Hawks jerseys that were Cardinals fans… Not all hope is lost.

17. ynothockey - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

No matter who your team is you must admit that was a great game!!

18. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I’m not denying that we have some idiot fans- I’ve seen them in action. I’ve been to a couple hundred Blues games, and most of the time a fellow Blues fan will tell the idiot to chill out if they get out of hand. Coming into our house, SCREAMING f-bombs when there’s kids around and starting a team chant in the middle of the national anthem is above and beyond your typical “loudmouth fan”. A big group almost got kicked out BEFORE the game even started! I talked with some Hawks fans and they were great people, but the majority of them were extremely disrespectful. I’m not sure how they act up in Chi-town, but they sure as hell didn’t make a good impression. I have a ton of respect for the Blackhawks team, and they’ve earned it- still hate the frickin Red Wings though…

Long Live the Note

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

This is why everybody outside of St. Louis hates St. Louis teams. The fans are a self-righteous, insufferable lot.

19. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Yup, that’s it. Our reading comprehension seems to be above average too…

Top 10 NHL Player Searches