Oct 9, 2013, 1:05 AM EDT
After a long goaltending controversy and a shocking trade, Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo found themselves on opposite sides for the first time. In this first match between the former duo, the elder Luongo and the Canucks could depart smiling, but not before the New Jersey Devils and Schneider gave them a run for their money in Vancouver’s 3-2 overtime victory.
“It was fun, it was nice to battle it out. Somebody has to win, somebody has to lose. We both got at least a point for our teams,” Luongo said, according to the Canucks’ Twitter feed.
If this game were an isolated incident, then Schneider and New Jersey could hold their heads high with the knowledge that they at least held their own in a hard fought game. Unfortunately, they have made a habit of coming up just short lately. The Devils have now fallen to 0-1-3 this season. The silver lining is that they have a few days to regroup before facing the Calgary Flames on Friday.
As for Vancouver, they’ve won three straight games to improve to 3-1-0 this season. Their next match will be against the only team that’s beaten them so far, the San Jose Sharks. It will also be Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl‘s first game since his crushing performance against the New York Rangers.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)