Oct 9, 2013, 1:05 AM EDT
After a long goaltending controversy and a shocking trade, Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo found themselves on opposite sides for the first time. In this first match between the former duo, the elder Luongo and the Canucks could depart smiling, but not before the New Jersey Devils and Schneider gave them a run for their money in Vancouver’s 3-2 overtime victory.
“It was fun, it was nice to battle it out. Somebody has to win, somebody has to lose. We both got at least a point for our teams,” Luongo said, according to the Canucks’ Twitter feed.
If this game were an isolated incident, then Schneider and New Jersey could hold their heads high with the knowledge that they at least held their own in a hard fought game. Unfortunately, they have made a habit of coming up just short lately. The Devils have now fallen to 0-1-3 this season. The silver lining is that they have a few days to regroup before facing the Calgary Flames on Friday.
As for Vancouver, they’ve won three straight games to improve to 3-1-0 this season. Their next match will be against the only team that’s beaten them so far, the San Jose Sharks. It will also be Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl‘s first game since his crushing performance against the New York Rangers.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)