Oct 9, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
After a long goaltending controversy and a shocking trade, Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo found themselves on opposite sides for the first time. In this first match between the former duo, the elder Luongo and the Canucks could depart smiling, but not before the New Jersey Devils and Schneider gave them a run for their money in Vancouver’s 3-2 overtime victory.
“It was fun, it was nice to battle it out. Somebody has to win, somebody has to lose. We both got at least a point for our teams,” Luongo said, according to the Canucks’ Twitter feed.
If this game were an isolated incident, then Schneider and New Jersey could hold their heads high with the knowledge that they at least held their own in a hard fought game. Unfortunately, they have made a habit of coming up just short lately. The Devils have now fallen to 0-1-3 this season. The silver lining is that they have a few days to regroup before facing the Calgary Flames on Friday.
As for Vancouver, they’ve won three straight games to improve to 3-1-0 this season. Their next match will be against the only team that’s beaten them so far, the San Jose Sharks. It will also be Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl‘s first game since his crushing performance against the New York Rangers.
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 0
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 34
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 1
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)