Oct 9, 2013, 1:05 AM EDT
After a long goaltending controversy and a shocking trade, Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo found themselves on opposite sides for the first time. In this first match between the former duo, the elder Luongo and the Canucks could depart smiling, but not before the New Jersey Devils and Schneider gave them a run for their money in Vancouver’s 3-2 overtime victory.
“It was fun, it was nice to battle it out. Somebody has to win, somebody has to lose. We both got at least a point for our teams,” Luongo said, according to the Canucks’ Twitter feed.
If this game were an isolated incident, then Schneider and New Jersey could hold their heads high with the knowledge that they at least held their own in a hard fought game. Unfortunately, they have made a habit of coming up just short lately. The Devils have now fallen to 0-1-3 this season. The silver lining is that they have a few days to regroup before facing the Calgary Flames on Friday.
As for Vancouver, they’ve won three straight games to improve to 3-1-0 this season. Their next match will be against the only team that’s beaten them so far, the San Jose Sharks. It will also be Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl‘s first game since his crushing performance against the New York Rangers.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)