Oct 9, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
The day after getting blasted 6-1 by the Islanders and holding a closed-door, players-only meeting, the Phoenix Coyotes made some roster moves by sending Lucas Lessio and Chris Brown to AHL Portland, recalling veterans Brandon Yip and Tim Kennedy.
Yip, 28, has 172 games of NHL experience on his resume and Kennedy, 27, has 125 — a far cry from the 20-year-old Lessio (three) and 22-year-old Brown (eight).
The moves are in accordance with what ‘Yotes head coach Dave Tippett said following the defeat on Long Island.
“We don’t have enough players playing with the right identity right now,” he explained. “We will fix that.”
It’s no secret Phoenix likes its veteran players. Traditionally, the club’s free agent activity has been marked by signing experienced skaters — this year it was Mike Ribeiro; last year it was David Moss and Steve Sullivan — and the organization has taken a patient approach by not rushing highly-touted draftees Brandon Gormley, Connor Murphy, Henrik Samuelsson and Max Domi into the NHL.
So the hope now is that Phoenix finds its identity, and finds it fast.
The team has been outscored 10-2 in consecutive losses to San Jose and New York, wildly uncharacteristic for defensive-oriented team that finished tied for fourth in the NHL last year with six shutouts.
“It’s completely unacceptable,” Tippett said following the Isles loss. “We have a lot of work to do as a team.
“We just weren’t good enough.”
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Ron DeGregorio rounded out the group.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?
Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?
Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
His newly signed two-year deal is an opportunity for
Aug 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
He’s got the size and skill to potentially make an impact.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Andersen, Gibson & Khudobin have a combined 27 Stanley Cup playoff games on their resume.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)