Oct 9, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
The day after getting blasted 6-1 by the Islanders and holding a closed-door, players-only meeting, the Phoenix Coyotes made some roster moves by sending Lucas Lessio and Chris Brown to AHL Portland, recalling veterans Brandon Yip and Tim Kennedy.
Yip, 28, has 172 games of NHL experience on his resume and Kennedy, 27, has 125 — a far cry from the 20-year-old Lessio (three) and 22-year-old Brown (eight).
The moves are in accordance with what ‘Yotes head coach Dave Tippett said following the defeat on Long Island.
“We don’t have enough players playing with the right identity right now,” he explained. “We will fix that.”
It’s no secret Phoenix likes its veteran players. Traditionally, the club’s free agent activity has been marked by signing experienced skaters — this year it was Mike Ribeiro; last year it was David Moss and Steve Sullivan — and the organization has taken a patient approach by not rushing highly-touted draftees Brandon Gormley, Connor Murphy, Henrik Samuelsson and Max Domi into the NHL.
So the hope now is that Phoenix finds its identity, and finds it fast.
The team has been outscored 10-2 in consecutive losses to San Jose and New York, wildly uncharacteristic for defensive-oriented team that finished tied for fourth in the NHL last year with six shutouts.
“It’s completely unacceptable,” Tippett said following the Isles loss. “We have a lot of work to do as a team.
“We just weren’t good enough.”
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
Dec 26, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decent start for the Americans at the World Juniors.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
New Jersey has three of the five oldest skaters in the NHL.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been good — or is it lucky? — in one-goal games.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Connor McDavid headlines a loaded host side that hasn’t won gold since 2009.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Dec 26, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
New Jersey off to a disappointing 12-17-7 start. The coach pays the price.
Dec 26, 2014, 12:34 PM EST
Brandon Sutter cleared.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
Put Matt Duchene on the list of supporters.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
“That was something that wore on guys.”
Dec 26, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He already grabbed the franchise’ assists mark in that category.
Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
They picked him over Eric Comrie.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:31 AM EST
Boxing Day links.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
And the NHL’s swift, significant response.
Dec 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
2014 was another painful year, but was it also one of progress?
Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.
Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 19
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 17
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)