Blackhawks lament ‘brutal loss’ to Blues

Oct 9, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT

Wednesday’s Rivalry Night game between the Blackhawks and Blues was skin-tight, but Alex Steen took advantage of Chicago’s late mistake to give St. Louis a 3-2 win. Needless to say, the ‘Hawks believe it was a tough way to lose:

Head coach Joel Quenneville told CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers that he was happy with the overall effort, but not so much about the breakdown that happened before that 3-2 goal.

“We played a good game. But you can’t make a mistake like that,” Quenneville said. “Brutal loss. We’ve gotta get that game to overtime. I don’t now what we were thinking about.”

Jonathan Toews looks back at Chicago’s last two losses as 3-4 points left on the table, as the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus reports.

“I feel like tonight we got robbed of two points, and last game we got robbed of one point,” Toews said.

Even Corey Crawford is kicking himself.

“As a goalie, you want to come with a save,” Crawford said. “That’s one I stop a bunch of times if that’s replayed.”

Chicago won’t need to wait long to get another crack at the Blues. They’re scheduled to host St. Louis on Oct. 17.

1. sprtsfan1 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Can’t wait for that next game.

2. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM

LGB!!!

3. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:35 AM

LGB(lues)

NOT B(lackhawks)

4. savior72 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Better luck next game Corey.

• imleftcoast - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

It was deflected. Seabrook should own that one.

5. nflnhlrulznbasux - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Fan of the Blues from waaaaay back, but have been pretty low key about my love over the years and as they get closer to the cup, long awaiting fans like me will be rejoicing a little more as they knock off one “great” team after another.
    And just a note to Crawford, the replay shows the puck going in every time!
    Great game Alex “son of one of my favorite players of all time” Steen.

• bricevjohnson - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Don’t worry, I’m sure the bandwagon will have more than enough room for you by the time they reach the cup.

As a fan of the Nordiques/Avalanche I have been lucky enough to watch the team turn into a cup winner, and cursed with having to watch this team become a bottom feeder again. You don’t just cheer for your team when it’s ‘convenient’.

6. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:43 AM

So, you’re the epitome of a fair weather fan? You’ve laid low through their struggles, but you’re starting to support them now that they’re having success. They don’t need you’re support now- they needed it back when guys like me were going to half empty arenas to root for them. Let me guess- if they win the Cup, you’ll go ahead and buy a jersey with the Stanley logo on the sleeve. You sound like a Kings fan…

• nflnhlrulznbasux - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:34 AM

jheags, if I lived in St. Louis or anywhere close (I’m up in Canada) I’d have season tickets. However, living in Western Canada all my life, if I was to walk down Portage and Main in Wpg, or the Red Mile in Calgary, or down Robson St. in Vancouver yelling Go Blues Go wearing their jersey over the past 20 – 30 years, I’d be looked at like some kind of lunatic, of course minus when they visited arenas where I lived getting to see them play and only when I could get tickets as many of those games were sold out. There are a TON of Blues fans out there and have been for a long time quietly following their favorite players from Sutter to Unger to Tkachuk, I trust the loyal local long suffering fans such as you living in will embrace that reality, rather than labeling everyone as a fair weather fan, bandwagon fans……….The Blues are not the LA Kings.

• budzo83 - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I’m a long-suffering Edmonton Oilers fan living in Detroit and I have been anything but quiet about it. Fan is short for fanatic; own it.

• nflnhlrulznbasux - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Don’t tell me or others on how to be a fan. Not my fault you cheer for a perennial loser, unless you consider high top picks every year as winning.

7. Sport Follower - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:08 AM

It’s a huge defensive error creating a 3 to 1 chance, however Crawford should save that one.

8. pone27 - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM

While I would love blame Crow for that one, whenever it’s a 3 on 1, no goal is the goalies fault unless they leave the net.

Hawks had their number most of that game, Halak stood on his head.

Don’t worry boys, got plenty of more games to win. Good game Blues, just remember, come the real season, you gotta win games like that 4 times.

9. jpat2424 - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Don’t worry Pone. They won’t make it that far. History has shown that.

10. rgotoguy - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Crawford fooled everyone into thinking he is one of the top goalies in the league and even got a new contract paying him like one. YES the winning goal was a 3 on 1 BUT Steen had no passing lane, Kane had gotten back and Keith dropped to the ice blocking the passing lane as well. All Crawford needed to do to make that save was challenge the shooter and play his angle right. Us viewers could see the passing lanes were blocked and Steen had to shoot.

11. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM

You can tell by the way he dropped just his right knee that he was expecting the same shot Steen had earlier. He was going for the highlight glove save, and actually opened just enough of the five hole. He would’ve saved it if he literally didn’t move lol. I think the problem started when the Hawks started playing to get to OT, instead of playing to win it. We’ve seen that with the Blues, and I’m glad to be on the other end of it. I still hold my breath for the first 5min after a Blues goal, because they are very prone to giving up a quick one afterwards. We need to address that…

12. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Haha deflected??? Seabrook didn’t touch the puck. Watch that slow-mo one more time for me. He MAY have skimmed Steen’s stick, but had no play in the puck’s trajectory. That was all Steen and a bad guess by Crow

13. jhaegs - Oct 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Hey you can be a fairweather fan as much as you like. You don’t think we stood out in an empty stadium, screaming at the top if our lungs? I wear STL Rams clothes all the time- if you don’t know, they’ve been horrible for close to 10yrs. Maybe I should just leave that stuff in the closet until they start winning though…

14. nflnhlrulznbasux - Oct 12, 2013 at 4:23 AM

The Blues have been around for over 40 years. Long time fans also means the fan grow older. The days are over for me to scream and yell. That’s should be left up to the young kids. I’ve worn the unis, purchased tix and drew the blue note when I was a kid. Believe me, I’m no fairweather band wagon fan.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches