Oct 8, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that this is not how Tim Thomas envisioned his comeback going.
The two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender allowed five goals to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday before being yanked and today he surrendered another two quick goals to the Philadelphia Flyers before getting the hook. This time though, his departure was likely due to an injury, according to the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac.
Update: Thomas is done for the night due to lower-body injury, reports NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman.
Thomas is 39 years old and trying to prove he’s still worthy of playing in the NHL after skipping the 2013 campaign. He wasn’t able to secure a contract over the summer, but joined the Florida Panthers on a tryout basis before they agreed to a one-year, $3.75 million deal.
If he needs to spend more than tonight on the sidelines, then Scott Clemmensen, who is coming off of minor knee surgery, will likely end up splitting Florida’s goaltending duties with 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom for now.
If you missed them, here are the two goals Thomas gave up to the Flyers:
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)