Oct 8, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that this is not how Tim Thomas envisioned his comeback going.
The two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender allowed five goals to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday before being yanked and today he surrendered another two quick goals to the Philadelphia Flyers before getting the hook. This time though, his departure was likely due to an injury, according to the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac.
Update: Thomas is done for the night due to lower-body injury, reports NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman.
Thomas is 39 years old and trying to prove he’s still worthy of playing in the NHL after skipping the 2013 campaign. He wasn’t able to secure a contract over the summer, but joined the Florida Panthers on a tryout basis before they agreed to a one-year, $3.75 million deal.
If he needs to spend more than tonight on the sidelines, then Scott Clemmensen, who is coming off of minor knee surgery, will likely end up splitting Florida’s goaltending duties with 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom for now.
If you missed them, here are the two goals Thomas gave up to the Flyers:
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)