Oct 8, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that this is not how Tim Thomas envisioned his comeback going.
The two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender allowed five goals to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday before being yanked and today he surrendered another two quick goals to the Philadelphia Flyers before getting the hook. This time though, his departure was likely due to an injury, according to the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac.
Update: Thomas is done for the night due to lower-body injury, reports NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman.
Thomas is 39 years old and trying to prove he’s still worthy of playing in the NHL after skipping the 2013 campaign. He wasn’t able to secure a contract over the summer, but joined the Florida Panthers on a tryout basis before they agreed to a one-year, $3.75 million deal.
If he needs to spend more than tonight on the sidelines, then Scott Clemmensen, who is coming off of minor knee surgery, will likely end up splitting Florida’s goaltending duties with 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom for now.
If you missed them, here are the two goals Thomas gave up to the Flyers:
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)