Oct 8, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that this is not how Tim Thomas envisioned his comeback going.
The two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender allowed five goals to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday before being yanked and today he surrendered another two quick goals to the Philadelphia Flyers before getting the hook. This time though, his departure was likely due to an injury, according to the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac.
Update: Thomas is done for the night due to lower-body injury, reports NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman.
Thomas is 39 years old and trying to prove he’s still worthy of playing in the NHL after skipping the 2013 campaign. He wasn’t able to secure a contract over the summer, but joined the Florida Panthers on a tryout basis before they agreed to a one-year, $3.75 million deal.
If he needs to spend more than tonight on the sidelines, then Scott Clemmensen, who is coming off of minor knee surgery, will likely end up splitting Florida’s goaltending duties with 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom for now.
If you missed them, here are the two goals Thomas gave up to the Flyers:
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)