Oct 8, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that this is not how Tim Thomas envisioned his comeback going.
The two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender allowed five goals to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday before being yanked and today he surrendered another two quick goals to the Philadelphia Flyers before getting the hook. This time though, his departure was likely due to an injury, according to the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac.
Update: Thomas is done for the night due to lower-body injury, reports NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman.
Thomas is 39 years old and trying to prove he’s still worthy of playing in the NHL after skipping the 2013 campaign. He wasn’t able to secure a contract over the summer, but joined the Florida Panthers on a tryout basis before they agreed to a one-year, $3.75 million deal.
If he needs to spend more than tonight on the sidelines, then Scott Clemmensen, who is coming off of minor knee surgery, will likely end up splitting Florida’s goaltending duties with 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom for now.
If you missed them, here are the two goals Thomas gave up to the Flyers:
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)