Oct 8, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Despite a 7-0 pounding at the hands of St. Louis on Saturday, the Panthers aren’t looking to make a coaching change.
“No, he’s not,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel when asked if bench boss Kevin Dineen was on the hot seat. “He made the playoffs in his first year as a coach. Last year you can’t judge his coaching on what happened. It wasn’t a coaching issue.
“I believe he’s going to do a great job for us. We were ripped with injury; I’m fine with our coaches.”
Dineen, 49, has fallen on hard times since leading Florida to a 38-26-18 record and the playoffs in his first year on the job. Last year was a disaster — just 15 victories and a .375 winning percentage — though things did get off to a solid start this year as the Panthers beat Dallas 4-2 in their season opener.
The way Tallon sees it, Dineen is closer to the coach that snapped Florida’s lengthy playoff streak in 2011 rather than the one that stumbled to last place in the NHL in 2013, and is planning on retaining Dineen past this year.
Tallon told the Sun-Sentinel the club is having “ongoing discussions” with Dineen about a contract extension, noting that the Panthers “take care of our own.”
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 2
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 7
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 50
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 74
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)