Oct 8, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Despite a 7-0 pounding at the hands of St. Louis on Saturday, the Panthers aren’t looking to make a coaching change.
“No, he’s not,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel when asked if bench boss Kevin Dineen was on the hot seat. “He made the playoffs in his first year as a coach. Last year you can’t judge his coaching on what happened. It wasn’t a coaching issue.
“I believe he’s going to do a great job for us. We were ripped with injury; I’m fine with our coaches.”
Dineen, 49, has fallen on hard times since leading Florida to a 38-26-18 record and the playoffs in his first year on the job. Last year was a disaster — just 15 victories and a .375 winning percentage — though things did get off to a solid start this year as the Panthers beat Dallas 4-2 in their season opener.
The way Tallon sees it, Dineen is closer to the coach that snapped Florida’s lengthy playoff streak in 2011 rather than the one that stumbled to last place in the NHL in 2013, and is planning on retaining Dineen past this year.
Tallon told the Sun-Sentinel the club is having “ongoing discussions” with Dineen about a contract extension, noting that the Panthers “take care of our own.”
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)