Oct 8, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
We’d like to say something interesting came out of today’s media circus in Vancouver, but unless you count John Tortorella threatening to “walk” from reporters again, nothing really did.
Not surprisingly, everyone was saying the right things (read: the boring things) ahead of tonight’s game between the New Jersey Devils, featuring one Cory Schneider, and the Vancouver Canucks, featuring one Roberto Luongo.
If you don’t know the story there by now, we don’t know what to tell you. (Scroll down PHT maybe? Shouldn’t take too long to catch up.)
“That’s for you guys,” said Tortorella of the goaltending angle, per The Province. “These are the Devils and he [Schneider] happens to be the goalie. We want to beat them.”
From a hockey standpoint, the coach’s most interesting comments may have pertained to new forward Mike Santorelli.
Signed to a two-way contract by the Canucks this summer, the 27-year-old Santorelli scored twice in Sunday’s 5-4 victory in Calgary, including the overtime winner.
“Santorelli. We talk about him every day, and he did more than score a couple of goals,” said Tortorella, adding: “He does a lot of things well and I look for him in all situations.”
A Vancouver native, Santorelli tore up the BCHL as a teenager before starring with Northern Michigan University. As an NHLer, he’s only had one notable season, when he scored 20 goals for the Florida Panthers in 2010-11 on a team that also featured current Canucks David Booth and Jason Garrison.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)