Oct 8, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
We’d like to say something interesting came out of today’s media circus in Vancouver, but unless you count John Tortorella threatening to “walk” from reporters again, nothing really did.
Not surprisingly, everyone was saying the right things (read: the boring things) ahead of tonight’s game between the New Jersey Devils, featuring one Cory Schneider, and the Vancouver Canucks, featuring one Roberto Luongo.
If you don’t know the story there by now, we don’t know what to tell you. (Scroll down PHT maybe? Shouldn’t take too long to catch up.)
“That’s for you guys,” said Tortorella of the goaltending angle, per The Province. “These are the Devils and he [Schneider] happens to be the goalie. We want to beat them.”
From a hockey standpoint, the coach’s most interesting comments may have pertained to new forward Mike Santorelli.
Signed to a two-way contract by the Canucks this summer, the 27-year-old Santorelli scored twice in Sunday’s 5-4 victory in Calgary, including the overtime winner.
“Santorelli. We talk about him every day, and he did more than score a couple of goals,” said Tortorella, adding: “He does a lot of things well and I look for him in all situations.”
A Vancouver native, Santorelli tore up the BCHL as a teenager before starring with Northern Michigan University. As an NHLer, he’s only had one notable season, when he scored 20 goals for the Florida Panthers in 2010-11 on a team that also featured current Canucks David Booth and Jason Garrison.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)