Oct 8, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
We’d like to say something interesting came out of today’s media circus in Vancouver, but unless you count John Tortorella threatening to “walk” from reporters again, nothing really did.
Not surprisingly, everyone was saying the right things (read: the boring things) ahead of tonight’s game between the New Jersey Devils, featuring one Cory Schneider, and the Vancouver Canucks, featuring one Roberto Luongo.
If you don’t know the story there by now, we don’t know what to tell you. (Scroll down PHT maybe? Shouldn’t take too long to catch up.)
“That’s for you guys,” said Tortorella of the goaltending angle, per The Province. “These are the Devils and he [Schneider] happens to be the goalie. We want to beat them.”
From a hockey standpoint, the coach’s most interesting comments may have pertained to new forward Mike Santorelli.
Signed to a two-way contract by the Canucks this summer, the 27-year-old Santorelli scored twice in Sunday’s 5-4 victory in Calgary, including the overtime winner.
“Santorelli. We talk about him every day, and he did more than score a couple of goals,” said Tortorella, adding: “He does a lot of things well and I look for him in all situations.”
A Vancouver native, Santorelli tore up the BCHL as a teenager before starring with Northern Michigan University. As an NHLer, he’s only had one notable season, when he scored 20 goals for the Florida Panthers in 2010-11 on a team that also featured current Canucks David Booth and Jason Garrison.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)