Oct 8, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
We’d like to say something interesting came out of today’s media circus in Vancouver, but unless you count John Tortorella threatening to “walk” from reporters again, nothing really did.
Not surprisingly, everyone was saying the right things (read: the boring things) ahead of tonight’s game between the New Jersey Devils, featuring one Cory Schneider, and the Vancouver Canucks, featuring one Roberto Luongo.
If you don’t know the story there by now, we don’t know what to tell you. (Scroll down PHT maybe? Shouldn’t take too long to catch up.)
“That’s for you guys,” said Tortorella of the goaltending angle, per The Province. “These are the Devils and he [Schneider] happens to be the goalie. We want to beat them.”
From a hockey standpoint, the coach’s most interesting comments may have pertained to new forward Mike Santorelli.
Signed to a two-way contract by the Canucks this summer, the 27-year-old Santorelli scored twice in Sunday’s 5-4 victory in Calgary, including the overtime winner.
“Santorelli. We talk about him every day, and he did more than score a couple of goals,” said Tortorella, adding: “He does a lot of things well and I look for him in all situations.”
A Vancouver native, Santorelli tore up the BCHL as a teenager before starring with Northern Michigan University. As an NHLer, he’s only had one notable season, when he scored 20 goals for the Florida Panthers in 2010-11 on a team that also featured current Canucks David Booth and Jason Garrison.
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)