Oct 8, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
We’d like to say something interesting came out of today’s media circus in Vancouver, but unless you count John Tortorella threatening to “walk” from reporters again, nothing really did.
Not surprisingly, everyone was saying the right things (read: the boring things) ahead of tonight’s game between the New Jersey Devils, featuring one Cory Schneider, and the Vancouver Canucks, featuring one Roberto Luongo.
If you don’t know the story there by now, we don’t know what to tell you. (Scroll down PHT maybe? Shouldn’t take too long to catch up.)
“That’s for you guys,” said Tortorella of the goaltending angle, per The Province. “These are the Devils and he [Schneider] happens to be the goalie. We want to beat them.”
From a hockey standpoint, the coach’s most interesting comments may have pertained to new forward Mike Santorelli.
Signed to a two-way contract by the Canucks this summer, the 27-year-old Santorelli scored twice in Sunday’s 5-4 victory in Calgary, including the overtime winner.
“Santorelli. We talk about him every day, and he did more than score a couple of goals,” said Tortorella, adding: “He does a lot of things well and I look for him in all situations.”
A Vancouver native, Santorelli tore up the BCHL as a teenager before starring with Northern Michigan University. As an NHLer, he’s only had one notable season, when he scored 20 goals for the Florida Panthers in 2010-11 on a team that also featured current Canucks David Booth and Jason Garrison.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)