Ruff challenges Stars: ‘If you have to take a penalty to protect your goaltender, you take a penalty’
Oct 8, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
The next time someone contacts Lehtonen, though, it’ll likely draw a response.
That’s what Dallas head coach Lindy Ruff suggested in the wake of Saturday’s game, saying that while the hit on Lehtonen was blatant — “I put that one on the low end,” he explained — the Stars will need to do whatever it takes to protect him in the future.
“First and foremost, if you have to take a penalty to protect your goaltender, you take a penalty,” Ruff told the Dallas Morning News. “That’s really what it amounts to.
“Nobody takes liberties with your goaltender.”
Here’s the Lehtonen-Backstrom collision:
That incident seemed to unravel the team. Paul Gaustad said he was “embarrassed” by the club’s response while Ruff said “I didn’t feel we reacted well to it,” before suggesting if it was open season on goalies, “then let’s get at it.”
On Monday, he said much of the same to the Morning News.
“It doesn’t matter to me who is on the ice,” Ruff said, delivering maybe the most important message of the discussion. “If someone is taking advantage of your goaltender, you all respond…all five guys respond.”
Old school? Ruff was asked.
“Old school,” he said. “Everybody ropes, everybody rides.”
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8