Oct 8, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
Just three games into the regular season, Calgary Flames fans are already seeing why the club used its sixth overall pick on Sean Monahan. The question now is, will they keep seeing it all season, or will he be returned to his junior club in Ottawa?
The argument for keeping Monahan: he has two goals and one assist as Calgary (1-0-2) has collected at least a point in each of its first three games.
But on the other hand: the 18-year-old center is minus-3 and, according to head coach Bob Hartley, “There’s lots of junior stuff still in his game.”
Monahan can play nine games with the Flames before they have to make a decision on whether to keep him or send him back to the OHL (and delay the start of his entry-level contract).
Calgary isn’t exactly deep at center, so if Monahan keeps producing at his current level, there’s reason to believe he could stay all season with the big club, playing meaningful minutes and gaining valuable experience in the process.
The Flames won’t want to rush him though, and delaying the start of that ELC will be tempting for a team that’s only starting its rebuild.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)