Oct 8, 2013, 4:19 PM EST
Letang, the club’s Norris Trophy nominee from a year ago, was placed on injured reserve to start the year, meaning he wouldn’t be made available until today (Oct. 8) at the earliest.
As such, he missed Pittsburgh’s first two games of the year — wins over New Jersey and Buffalo — and now appears set to miss a few more.
Letang will definitely be out when Pittsburgh plays at home against Carolina tonight. Following the ‘Canes game, the Pens head out on a two-game road swing through Florida (on Friday) and Tampa Bay (on Saturday).
From there, it’s another busy stretch: Edmonton on Oct. 15, Philadelphia on the 17th, Vancouver on the 19th and Colorado on the 21st. All told, the Pens play six games in a 10-day span.
Letang, 26, suffered the lower-body ailment during practice two weeks ago and only returned to the ice on Saturday. Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma originally said he didn’t think the ailment would keep Letang out long-term, but it looks like he could miss up to five games.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)