Oct 8, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
Letang, the club’s Norris Trophy nominee from a year ago, was placed on injured reserve to start the year, meaning he wouldn’t be made available until today (Oct. 8) at the earliest.
As such, he missed Pittsburgh’s first two games of the year — wins over New Jersey and Buffalo — and now appears set to miss a few more.
Letang will definitely be out when Pittsburgh plays at home against Carolina tonight. Following the ‘Canes game, the Pens head out on a two-game road swing through Florida (on Friday) and Tampa Bay (on Saturday).
From there, it’s another busy stretch: Edmonton on Oct. 15, Philadelphia on the 17th, Vancouver on the 19th and Colorado on the 21st. All told, the Pens play six games in a 10-day span.
Letang, 26, suffered the lower-body ailment during practice two weeks ago and only returned to the ice on Saturday. Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma originally said he didn’t think the ailment would keep Letang out long-term, but it looks like he could miss up to five games.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 0
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)