Oct 8, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
Letang, the club’s Norris Trophy nominee from a year ago, was placed on injured reserve to start the year, meaning he wouldn’t be made available until today (Oct. 8) at the earliest.
As such, he missed Pittsburgh’s first two games of the year — wins over New Jersey and Buffalo — and now appears set to miss a few more.
Letang will definitely be out when Pittsburgh plays at home against Carolina tonight. Following the ‘Canes game, the Pens head out on a two-game road swing through Florida (on Friday) and Tampa Bay (on Saturday).
From there, it’s another busy stretch: Edmonton on Oct. 15, Philadelphia on the 17th, Vancouver on the 19th and Colorado on the 21st. All told, the Pens play six games in a 10-day span.
Letang, 26, suffered the lower-body ailment during practice two weeks ago and only returned to the ice on Saturday. Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma originally said he didn’t think the ailment would keep Letang out long-term, but it looks like he could miss up to five games.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 11
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 9
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 94
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)