Oct 8, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Quick roundup of some of the NHL’s more intriguing (and ongoing) goalie battles…
Looks as though Ben Bishop will get his second straight start tonight in Buffalo.
The NHL’s tallest netminder, Bishop was outstanding in Saturday’s 3-2 shootout win over Chicago, making 37 saves as the Bolts were badly outplayed (outshot 39-16) yet still managed to escape with a victory.
Tampa Bay actually got outshot 12-0 in the first period, marking the first time since 1946 the Blackhawks held an opponent to zero shots in a single frame.
The decision means Anders Lindback — who was named Tampa’s opening-night starter — will sit for the second straight time. Lindback was OK in a 3-1 loss to Boston, but not great, making just 22 saves on 25 shots.
Enroth, 25, made 31 stops on 34 saves in a 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Saturday, this after Miller got the starting nod in the first two games of the year (losses to Detroit and Ottawa).
Miller had played brilliantly before getting hurt, making 77 saves on 80 shots, good for a .963 save percentage.
Sabres head coach Ron Rolston wouldn’t confirm that Enroth would be the starter, but the Swedish netminder was the first off the ice for the morning skate. It’s expected Miller will dress, and back up.
Jonathan Bernier will get a chance to take a further stranglehold on Toronto’s starting job tonight at the Air Canada Center.
Bernier, who was stellar in relief of James Reimer during Saturday’s 5-4 shootout win over Ottawa, will be in goal when the Leafs take on the Avalanche tonight.
Bernier’s numbers on the season are tremendous (granted, it’s a small sample size). He’s 2-0-0 with a .979 save percentage and 0.64 GAA and has yet to allow an even-strength goal.
For the Avs, it’s unclear who’ll get the nod. There was some thought J.S. Giguere would make his season debut for Colorado, but the Globe and Mail reports Semyon Varlamov looks likely to get the start.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)