Oct 8, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Quick roundup of some of the NHL’s more intriguing (and ongoing) goalie battles…
Looks as though Ben Bishop will get his second straight start tonight in Buffalo.
The NHL’s tallest netminder, Bishop was outstanding in Saturday’s 3-2 shootout win over Chicago, making 37 saves as the Bolts were badly outplayed (outshot 39-16) yet still managed to escape with a victory.
Tampa Bay actually got outshot 12-0 in the first period, marking the first time since 1946 the Blackhawks held an opponent to zero shots in a single frame.
The decision means Anders Lindback — who was named Tampa’s opening-night starter — will sit for the second straight time. Lindback was OK in a 3-1 loss to Boston, but not great, making just 22 saves on 25 shots.
Enroth, 25, made 31 stops on 34 saves in a 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Saturday, this after Miller got the starting nod in the first two games of the year (losses to Detroit and Ottawa).
Miller had played brilliantly before getting hurt, making 77 saves on 80 shots, good for a .963 save percentage.
Sabres head coach Ron Rolston wouldn’t confirm that Enroth would be the starter, but the Swedish netminder was the first off the ice for the morning skate. It’s expected Miller will dress, and back up.
Jonathan Bernier will get a chance to take a further stranglehold on Toronto’s starting job tonight at the Air Canada Center.
Bernier, who was stellar in relief of James Reimer during Saturday’s 5-4 shootout win over Ottawa, will be in goal when the Leafs take on the Avalanche tonight.
Bernier’s numbers on the season are tremendous (granted, it’s a small sample size). He’s 2-0-0 with a .979 save percentage and 0.64 GAA and has yet to allow an even-strength goal.
For the Avs, it’s unclear who’ll get the nod. There was some thought J.S. Giguere would make his season debut for Colorado, but the Globe and Mail reports Semyon Varlamov looks likely to get the start.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)