Oct 8, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
It wasn’t the most dominating of wins, but the Philadelphia Flyers got two points in Craig Berube’s first game as the team’s head coach.
Peter Laviolette was fired after just three games, albeit following a disappointing 2013 campaign and troubling training camp. With plenty to prove, Philadelphia opened its match against the Florida Panthers with two quick goals against Tim Thomas before the 39-year-old goaltender was pulled due to a lower-body injury.
From there it was mostly Flyers goaltender Steve Mason that kept his team in the game. He turned aside 33 of 34 shots to give himself a 2.02 GAA and .936 save percentage this season.
Flyers captain Claude Giroux, who they need to step up in order to have any long-term success, remains scoreless and was on the ice for Florida’s lone goal. Forwards Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds, and Matt Read are also still pointless through four games, although Sean Couturier and Jakub Voracek each picked up their first assist of the season tonight.
Philadelphia still has some major concerns, but at least they avoided what would have been their first 0-4-0 in franchise history, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi. That will keep things more upbeat as Berube begins to make changes to how this team plays.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)