Oct 8, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils were well on their way to winning their first game since Ilya Kovalchuk’s “retirement” last night. They went into the third period with a 3-0 lead over Edmonton, but the Oilers rallied back with four goals over the span of just 7:47 minutes.
Still, that game has to be a tough pill to swallow and it makes them 0-1-2 this season. They came into 2013-14 with the goal of proving people wrong for predicting that they would struggle in their first season without Kovalchuk and so far they haven’t succeeded in that goal.
There’s still plenty of time left though and consequently Devils captain Bryce Salvador doesn’t want his team to put too much pressure on themselves too early.
“If, at this point you really start squeezing your stick… Obviously we want to win and we need points, but you can’t overdo the pressure on it,” Salvador said, according to the Star-Ledger.
Bad starts can snowball into bigger problems, but by the same token, it might just take one win for the Devils to find their groove. They will play the Vancouver Canucks tonight.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)