Oct 8, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils were well on their way to winning their first game since Ilya Kovalchuk’s “retirement” last night. They went into the third period with a 3-0 lead over Edmonton, but the Oilers rallied back with four goals over the span of just 7:47 minutes.
Still, that game has to be a tough pill to swallow and it makes them 0-1-2 this season. They came into 2013-14 with the goal of proving people wrong for predicting that they would struggle in their first season without Kovalchuk and so far they haven’t succeeded in that goal.
There’s still plenty of time left though and consequently Devils captain Bryce Salvador doesn’t want his team to put too much pressure on themselves too early.
“If, at this point you really start squeezing your stick… Obviously we want to win and we need points, but you can’t overdo the pressure on it,” Salvador said, according to the Star-Ledger.
Bad starts can snowball into bigger problems, but by the same token, it might just take one win for the Devils to find their groove. They will play the Vancouver Canucks tonight.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)