Oct 8, 2013, 5:26 PM EST
What, you thought the Phoenix Coyotes bankruptcy story was dead and buried? Come on now, of course it’s not.
From the Arizona Republic:
A federal bankruptcy court in Arizona threw out most of the National Hockey League’s claims against former Phoenix Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes for expenses associated with the team’s tenure in bankruptcy and NHL ownership.
Moyes filed the team for bankruptcy in 2009.
After months of courtroom wrangling, the NHL purchased and ran the franchise for nearly four years before selling it in August to a new group of owners.
The NHL filed suit against Moyes in 2010, claiming multiple instances of breach of agreements and fiduciary duty.
The NHL initially sought to recover $145.9 million from Moyes, including $112.7 million in operational losses while the league ran the team and $6.5 million in unpaid salary for former coach Wayne Gretzky.
To be clear, this is a dispute between the NHL and Moyes; it doesn’t involve the Coyotes or their new owners.
The Gretzky angle is an interesting one though. Will The Great One ever get the money that’s owed to him?
if moyes won't pay gretzky over $6.5 mil, it's time nhl teams bucked up and bring 99 into nhl fold in some capacity—
Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) October 08, 2013
Matheson is a sportswriter for the Edmonton Journal who’s covered the Oilers since the 1970s. For his expanded thoughts on the issue, click here.
Whether the NHL passes the hat for No. 99 down the road, we’ll have to wait and see. It’s been discussed by the Board of Governors before, so it’s not out of the question.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)