Oct 8, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Hillen, 27, was injured in Washington’s home opener against Calgary, suffering a fractured right leg on this hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma:
The injury will keep Hillen shelved for 4-6 months, and the Caps will free up $700,000 in cap space by putting him on LTIR.
In an unrelated move, Washington also recalled Latta, who made his NHL debut in Washington’s season-opening loss to Chicago last week.
Acquired by Washington in the Martin Erat-Filip Forsberg trade, Latta played well in his brief stint with Hershey, scoring a shorthanded goal and an assist in the Bears’ season-opener against Adirondack.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 6
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 15
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)