Oct 8, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Hillen, 27, was injured in Washington’s home opener against Calgary, suffering a fractured right leg on this hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma:
The injury will keep Hillen shelved for 4-6 months, and the Caps will free up $700,000 in cap space by putting him on LTIR.
In an unrelated move, Washington also recalled Latta, who made his NHL debut in Washington’s season-opening loss to Chicago last week.
Acquired by Washington in the Martin Erat–Filip Forsberg trade, Latta played well in his brief stint with Hershey, scoring a shorthanded goal and an assist in the Bears’ season-opener against Adirondack.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 26
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50