Oct 8, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Hillen, 27, was injured in Washington’s home opener against Calgary, suffering a fractured right leg on this hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma:
The injury will keep Hillen shelved for 4-6 months, and the Caps will free up $700,000 in cap space by putting him on LTIR.
In an unrelated move, Washington also recalled Latta, who made his NHL debut in Washington’s season-opening loss to Chicago last week.
Acquired by Washington in the Martin Erat-Filip Forsberg trade, Latta played well in his brief stint with Hershey, scoring a shorthanded goal and an assist in the Bears’ season-opener against Adirondack.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9