Oct 8, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Hillen, 27, was injured in Washington’s home opener against Calgary, suffering a fractured right leg on this hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma:
The injury will keep Hillen shelved for 4-6 months, and the Caps will free up $700,000 in cap space by putting him on LTIR.
In an unrelated move, Washington also recalled Latta, who made his NHL debut in Washington’s season-opening loss to Chicago last week.
Acquired by Washington in the Martin Erat–Filip Forsberg trade, Latta played well in his brief stint with Hershey, scoring a shorthanded goal and an assist in the Bears’ season-opener against Adirondack.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)