Oct 8, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Hillen, 27, was injured in Washington’s home opener against Calgary, suffering a fractured right leg on this hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma:
The injury will keep Hillen shelved for 4-6 months, and the Caps will free up $700,000 in cap space by putting him on LTIR.
In an unrelated move, Washington also recalled Latta, who made his NHL debut in Washington’s season-opening loss to Chicago last week.
Acquired by Washington in the Martin Erat–Filip Forsberg trade, Latta played well in his brief stint with Hershey, scoring a shorthanded goal and an assist in the Bears’ season-opener against Adirondack.
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 0
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 55
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)