Oct 8, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
Two teams with perfect records square off tonight in Toronto when the Maple Leafs (3-0-0) host the Colorado Avalanche (2-0-0).
Obviously, it’s still early, but both sides have to be pleased with the way they’ve begun the season. Or, at the very least, they have to be pleased with their records.
Certainly, Toronto wouldn’t still be undefeated without the strong goaltending of offseason acquisition Jonathan Bernier, who’s allowed just one goal on 47 shots. Likewise, the Avs have been aided by the netminding of Semyon Varlamov, who’s surrendered just two goals on 63 shots.
Not surprisingly, Bernier (.979 save percentage) and Varlamov (.968) are expected to be the starters tonight.
Special teams have also been key for both clubs. The Leafs have already scored four power-play goals, while the Avs have yet to surrender a tally while a man down.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)