Oct 8, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Two teams with perfect records square off tonight in Toronto when the Maple Leafs (3-0-0) host the Colorado Avalanche (2-0-0).
Obviously, it’s still early, but both sides have to be pleased with the way they’ve begun the season. Or, at the very least, they have to be pleased with their records.
Certainly, Toronto wouldn’t still be undefeated without the strong goaltending of offseason acquisition Jonathan Bernier, who’s allowed just one goal on 47 shots. Likewise, the Avs have been aided by the netminding of Semyon Varlamov, who’s surrendered just two goals on 63 shots.
Not surprisingly, Bernier (.979 save percentage) and Varlamov (.968) are expected to be the starters tonight.
Special teams have also been key for both clubs. The Leafs have already scored four power-play goals, while the Avs have yet to surrender a tally while a man down.
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 6
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 9
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 48
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 25
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)