Oct 8, 2013, 1:57 AM EDT
The New York Rangers got their first victory of the season on Monday, and Alain Vigneault got his first regular season win as that team’s new head coach.
The Rangers, playing their second of nine straight games on the road to begin the season, defeated the L.A. Kings by a final score of 3-1.
“I think it’s big for everyone in the organization. We wanted to get something on the board (for) him and we did…good for Alain,” Rangers’ forward Brad Richards said afterward, as per the club’s official Twitter account.
Of course, Vigneault and his Rangers got a little help in the third period.
Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick badly misplayed a long-range short-handed clearing attempt by Rangers’ defenseman Ryan McDonagh. The puck bounced off Quick’s blocker as he went to the ice to play it and glided into the empty net.
The goal gave the Rangers a 3-1 lead early in the third period. Click here to see the video of the gaffe.
In the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, Quick was magnificent for the Kings on their way to a Stanley Cup. And that included his play against the Canucks – coached then by Vigneault – in the opening round.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)