Oct 8, 2013, 1:57 AM EDT
The New York Rangers got their first victory of the season on Monday, and Alain Vigneault got his first regular season win as that team’s new head coach.
The Rangers, playing their second of nine straight games on the road to begin the season, defeated the L.A. Kings by a final score of 3-1.
“I think it’s big for everyone in the organization. We wanted to get something on the board (for) him and we did…good for Alain,” Rangers’ forward Brad Richards said afterward, as per the club’s official Twitter account.
Of course, Vigneault and his Rangers got a little help in the third period.
Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick badly misplayed a long-range short-handed clearing attempt by Rangers’ defenseman Ryan McDonagh. The puck bounced off Quick’s blocker as he went to the ice to play it and glided into the empty net.
The goal gave the Rangers a 3-1 lead early in the third period. Click here to see the video of the gaffe.
In the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, Quick was magnificent for the Kings on their way to a Stanley Cup. And that included his play against the Canucks – coached then by Vigneault – in the opening round.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)