Oct 8, 2013, 1:57 AM EDT
The New York Rangers got their first victory of the season on Monday, and Alain Vigneault got his first regular season win as that team’s new head coach.
The Rangers, playing their second of nine straight games on the road to begin the season, defeated the L.A. Kings by a final score of 3-1.
“I think it’s big for everyone in the organization. We wanted to get something on the board (for) him and we did…good for Alain,” Rangers’ forward Brad Richards said afterward, as per the club’s official Twitter account.
Of course, Vigneault and his Rangers got a little help in the third period.
Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick badly misplayed a long-range short-handed clearing attempt by Rangers’ defenseman Ryan McDonagh. The puck bounced off Quick’s blocker as he went to the ice to play it and glided into the empty net.
The goal gave the Rangers a 3-1 lead early in the third period. Click here to see the video of the gaffe.
In the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs, Quick was magnificent for the Kings on their way to a Stanley Cup. And that included his play against the Canucks – coached then by Vigneault – in the opening round.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)