Oct 7, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t getting too far ahead of themselves after beginning the 2013-14 season with a bang.
“We’re happy,” head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area after 4-1 wins over Vancouver and Phoenix. “Are we satisfied? No. But, we’re happy.”
The Sharks opened the year with a solid effort against the Canucks, the same team they swept out of the opening round of last year’s playoffs. They out-shot Vancouver 35-22 and had seven takeaways to the Canucks’ zero.
In Saturday’s 4-1 win over Phoenix, even more things went well. The power play, which went a ghastly 0-for-8 against Vancouver (despite having extended time with a two-man advantage), rebounded to go 2-for-4 against the Coyotes. What’s more, San Jose had an even bigger disparity in shots — 51-23 — meaning the club has now out-shot opponents by 41 this season.
McLellan again reiterated he was happy with the style of play, but felt there was room for the Sharks to play even better.
“When we look at how we want to play, yes [we’re happy],” he said. “We want to be fast, we want to be hard, we want to be aggressive.
“Pretty supportive group right now, amongst each other, and that always happens when you’re winning.”
Part of this tempered enthusiasm could be due to last season. The Sharks opened the lockout-shortened campaign with a perfect 7-0-0 start, only to go 0-4-3 over their next seven.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)