Oct 7, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t getting too far ahead of themselves after beginning the 2013-14 season with a bang.
“We’re happy,” head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area after 4-1 wins over Vancouver and Phoenix. “Are we satisfied? No. But, we’re happy.”
The Sharks opened the year with a solid effort against the Canucks, the same team they swept out of the opening round of last year’s playoffs. They out-shot Vancouver 35-22 and had seven takeaways to the Canucks’ zero.
In Saturday’s 4-1 win over Phoenix, even more things went well. The power play, which went a ghastly 0-for-8 against Vancouver (despite having extended time with a two-man advantage), rebounded to go 2-for-4 against the Coyotes. What’s more, San Jose had an even bigger disparity in shots — 51-23 — meaning the club has now out-shot opponents by 41 this season.
McLellan again reiterated he was happy with the style of play, but felt there was room for the Sharks to play even better.
“When we look at how we want to play, yes [we’re happy],” he said. “We want to be fast, we want to be hard, we want to be aggressive.
“Pretty supportive group right now, amongst each other, and that always happens when you’re winning.”
Part of this tempered enthusiasm could be due to last season. The Sharks opened the lockout-shortened campaign with a perfect 7-0-0 start, only to go 0-4-3 over their next seven.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)