Flyers fire Peter Laviolette; Craig Berube to take over

Oct 7, 2013, 9:45 AM EST

Peter Laviolette AP

According to Philly Daily News’ Frank Seravalli and CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio, the Flyers have fired coach Peter Laviolette after four seasons and three games.

Seravalli reports assistant coach Craig Berube will take over. Whether that’s on an interim basis or not remains to be seen. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports John Paddock and Ian Laperriere will join as Berube’s assistants. He adds that assistant coach Kevin McCarthy was also let go.

After missing the postseason last year and getting off to an 0-3-0 start this season, rumors had already begun swirling that perhaps a trade was coming. Instead, it appears Laviolette’s time as bench boss is at an end.

Laviolette was hired during the 2009-10 season after John Stevens was dismissed as Flyers coach. That year he led Philly to the Stanley Cup Final before ultimately losing to the Chicago Blackhawks. He then led the team to the playoffs the next two seasons, bowing out in the second round each time.

According to Kevin Gibson of TSN Research, this is the quickest firing to start an NHL season.

A press conference has been called for 11 a.m. ET today in Philadelphia.

1. sjsblitz - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Does this make Bryz right about the coaching staff?

• hockey412 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM

• joey4id - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Well! If it does, then the Flyers are no better off with Berube.

• fbothharbaughs - Oct 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• fbothharbaughs - Oct 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Ed Snider = Al Davis

2. ju8686 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Yup. That’ll fix it … Put yet another former Flyer goon in a position of power.

• TippySaysNo - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Out with the old, in with the goon.

• Lupy Nazty Philthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Jody Shelley is the future… shudder.

3. mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Yay!! It’s long overdue!! Hopefully berube isn’t the long term answer but I am definitely glad to see lavy leaving. Are there any good candidates out there though?

• xflyersx - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Ron Hextall.

• hockey412 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I’ll bet you a dollar Milbury puts his bid in, that’s for sure. And it would be so worth it to get his biased as* out of the booth.

• cg28rulz - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM

missing the playoffs once in four years is hardly justification to say ” its long overdue” he is not the one turning over the pucks and not putting them in the net. he is also not the one who invited 60 guys into training camp and everybody says guys look out of sink and there is no cohesion on any of the lines. Is Berube gonna run the same style of system as Lavi or is he going to try something totally different that is going to take half the season to “adjust” to? think this was almost as bad a move as signing Bryz

• mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Yes it is long overdue. I had discussions two seasons ago when the rangers and Boston both manhandled us. They figured out how lavy plays the game. Once the flaws were exposed every other team exploited us the same way. Lavy didn’t know how to adjust it bc the system isn’t made to be adjusted. Play us aggressively and don’t give us space, have your forwards ready for some weak transition passes then BOOM… You beat the flyers. It’s that easy. Every team did it. So yes, it is long overdue. And if guys aren’t stepping up or they are taking bad penalties (which has long been a problem) then its up to the coach to bench them and set an example. I’ve yet to see lavy do that. Bottom line is that it all falls upon the coach to keep the team in check.

• flyerspsu - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM

lol why do you think inviting 60 guys to camp was so terrible and to blame, you are honestly the 1st person I have seen complain about it even once let alone the few different times i have seen you bring it up

of the many problems the team had that wasnt one

• cg28rulz - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

just hope this doesnt turn out like the decision to ship out Richards and Carter did for us

• cg28rulz - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

clearly you dont follow hockey too closely because its been mentioned several times on NHL network about how there is no way to get a good evaluation on line combos etc. when you have so many guys in camp

• 950003cups - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

No need to celebrate people. The man just lost his job.

4. hockey412 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Isn’t this the guy that punched an official?

• mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Not sure. But he punched leino in the back of The head one night. Lol

• flyerspsu - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

yes by accident in a fight just like clutterbuck did last year, a lot of people are under the impression he did it on purpose b/c thats what they heard, really was anything except unfortunate accident for the official who had to eat on by the Chief

5. crazemastercraze - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH

6. puckmepuckyou - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Kiss of death that vote of confidence from Snyder. Look out Holmgren Ron Hextall taking your job soon.

7. lordfletcher - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM

after watching them play last night, I can’t comprehend this move at all.

To me, all the issues seem more personnel than coaching / systems. Horrible defense and below average goal tending. I am sure a new coach can fix the roster

-Wild fan

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

wait so you watched them play last night…. and you think goaltending was the problem? Mason was pretty incredible. you weren’t watching close enough. i’ve dismissed the rest of your opinion too.

8. joey4id - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

way2slic, like I said;

joey4id – Oct 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    He,s on the hot seat alright. Nothing against the guy, but it’s easier to change the coach than 20 players when you underachieve.

• stakex - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Wow… you predicted something anyone with half a brain already knew? Your powers of deduction are almost as good as your self congratulations skills.

• joey4id - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

hehehehe! LMAO! :-) And so did Darren Dreger. What does he know? Eh!

• joey4id - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Besides! You missed the point. Since you obviously have half a brain, because you also deduced that he would get fired, I didn’t expect you of all people to get the point. :-)

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Vegas had him getting fired 1st at 2/1 odds, and others here predicted the same, and you’re here patting yourself on the back?

LMAO What a needy lil boy in search of validation from strangers.

What? Daddy leave you and mommy during your formative years?

• joey4id - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

No! No! You’re getting it all wrong. It’s not about patting myself on the back. It’s about calling out those who dish on others for their comments. I can understand stakex not getting it, and I guess you too based on you very aggressive comments. Now! If you will! MOVE ON Mr. QJMHL who is frustrated for not being drafter. :-)

9. dirkanger23 - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I’m surprised they brought him back to begin the season. The Flyers were totally mediocre last year even though they have pretty decent talent on the team. I thinks that Lav’s system is the main culprit here. It doesn’t play to the strengths of the team at all, especially on defense. There’s no physicality to it. Just a lot of poke checking & diving in front of pucks. The PP defense? Just painful to watch. No aggressiveness whatsoever. Nothing but sitting back and watching the shooting gallery on the goalie while trying hopefully to poke check a stray pass. It’s just infuriating to watch.
    They need to implement a system where the puck carrier is pursued non stop; just constant pressure on defense leading to turnovers & scoring chances.

• mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I agree 100%. The shortened season last season along with injuries was the excuse they gave to not fire him. But now everyone sees that nothing has changed. The flyers should be better than they are. Lavy should have been gone last year. I’ve been saying it and it finally happened. I am so excited to see him go. Bye bye lavy.

10. raiderufan - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I never understand these firings. I get that he needed to go but after 3 games he gets canned? That means you had him on the hottest of seats already….why not fire him after last season, get your guy and let him run camp and pre-season?

I’m not a fan of the flyers but the league is better when they’re better. Hopefully this guy is competent enough to get this talented enough roster to play hard.

11. pitpenguinsrulez - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! I guess the coach who said “Claude Giroux is the best in the game, lmao” can’t satisfy an old fart like Snider well enough. 0-3-0 and they think Berube will be a quick fix. Ha that’s laughable. This team is bad…poor defense and poor goaltending. Emery won’t be nearly as good as he was in Chicago because the Flyers defense isn’t nearly as good as Chicago.

…Tho I wonder if Lavy will pull a John Stevens and win a Stanley Cup, LA Kings, before the Flyers do!

• macgrubie - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

You do know the year the pens won the cup – you know, the year all your fans came back – they fired their coach too?

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Hahaha if you think the flyers will now win the cup because laviolette is gone I feel sorry for you. 0 even strength goals from their forwards. A defense that is somehow the highest paid underachieving group in the NHL. 2 goalies who are playing good but still losing. This is not a scheme or strategy problem it’s the players themselves who stink. This team is the laughing stock of the league. Trade Richards and carter they win the cup. Trade bobrovski he wins a Vezina, but hey at least you guys lead the league in hits. Lol.

• bgrillz - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

As a Pens fan, your handle is lame….

• girouxed - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

F**king idiot

12. wisdomnfl - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

The team lacks talent and plays with no heart but plenty of goon.

13. curioustraveler13 - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I’m just happy holmgren is still the GM. I want to see him make another big move to further mess this team up before he gets canned. Scott hartnell with a no movement clause and that cap hit lol. Streit’s deal haha. The guy hands out some crazy contracts and I love it. Hey at least with be rune as head coach you flyer fans will get to see how good your PK is.

14. esracerx46 - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM

What happened to giving him 10 games. Laviolette is not the reason the Flyers are terrible. I’m looking right at that liar of a GM in Holmgren. That man’s word has zero standing anymore

15. whiskytango333 - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Philly is such a train wreck. Lavy should be thanking them for letting him go. The sad part is, there is quite a bit of talent on that team. Firing a coach after three games is another example in a long line of terrible, reactionary decisions that allows the number 1975 to carry such a significance.

16. macgrubie - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Will always remember Lavy fondly. I liked the guy but I think it’s the right call. Underachieved last year then had a rough preseason and bad start. Not sure what Berube’s plan will be but I just pray he doesn’t think this team is built to be a “broad st bully” type. That’s just not this group’s game.

Future is still bright. Go Flyers

17. bgrillz - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

It is all his fault he has a bunch of scrubs playing for him…

18. thecheeman - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM

How does Holmgren keep his job? The man seems to have no faith in his own ability to construct a team.

19. sdelmonte - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Makes no sense to fire him now. Either cut him loose after the last season or stick with him a little while. It sends a very mixed message to the players, doesn’t it?

20. earpaniac - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Why not fire him before the season? You can’t tell me they saw something different than what they saw last season, preseason, etc. Now a new guy will come in, most likely put “his system” in, and you waste more of the year getting guys acclimated to that. I do think the Flyers are more talented than they’ve shown, but fire the guy after last year! Not a smart FO move…….but that’s another story.

• mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

He should have already been replaced. He never should have made it to this season but the injuries and shortened season last year is what kept his job. A lot of people disagree with my statement that he needed to be fired but everyone disagreed with me when I said Richie and carter were going to get traded too. Berube won’t be the fix. They need a coach who plays a system around what he has on the ice and not make the players play a system around the coach

21. jaws1655 - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I thought he hung around two extra years before this. After the finals run against Chicago, the team quit on him. I said that year he was done because” you can’t fire the whole team”! How many guys are left from that team? G, Harts, Kimmo and Coburn. They fired the whole team and we have the same crap. You can”t have your foot on the players necks year after year. It gets old fast. Hextall could be in charge before the years end.

• mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

You hit it right on the head, my Dude!! Not many people on here understand and agree with us that lavy was the problem. They blame défense or goaltending or whatever else. The problem has been lavy all along. Thank you for seeing the problem that many of these other people can’t see.

22. ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I’m expecting Hartnell to move down a line or two. New coach doesn’t have the same convictions as Lavy had with keeping him on the top line. It WOULD be nice if we could get Glencross to take that top line spot, but if not, I’d like to see Read pop in there.

23. President Charles Logan - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Who’s out there as far as decent unemployed coaches to replace Berube when the time comes?, they could have at least took a shot at Lindy Ruff last year and Bob Hartley the year prior

24. stakex - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

We all knew Laviolette was on a short leash, but three games? I know they were three pretty bad games, but still… if the leash was that short why not fire him in the summer and have a new coach to start training camp with?

You also have to feel for Laviolette a little bit. He’s been handed a non-playoff caliber team the last couple seasons, and his blame for the teams failure isn’t nearly as big as Holmgren’s. Their defense is shaky, their goaltending tandem is questionable at best, and their offense is top heavy. None of that is Lavy’s fault, and I think there is a good argument to make that he’s done pretty good for what he has to work with.

25. pxland - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

This move by itself means the job is only half-done. If I’m the Flyers Holmgren goes and I start fresh.

26. unklepaulhargus - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Best part of this is, Ian Laperriere is now an assistant.

27. druhlman - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I don’t know about punching an official but didn’t he call Peter Worrell a monkey back in 1997?

28. orangejynx - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

As much as I LOVED Craig Berube makin him the coach is a sign of this teams biggest weakness. STOP LIVING IN THE PAST FLYERS! Meanwhile Paul Holmgren says “Flyers don’t look like a team at all” YOU PUT IT TOGETHER ASS! Fire Holmgren the guy thinks Courturier is gonna be Crosby for F!@#$ sake!

29. girouxed - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

At least they did something.

30. bauxjangles - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Looks like he joined the Philadelphia Fired….

31. antmel30 - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Curioustravler you are a retard of a hockey fan. Follow your pens bud and leave the rest of true hockey fans to comment. The problem was laviolet not the whole problem but the main problem. People do realize this was a team that had the most double digit scorers in the league and most guys in league with 20 goals or more. So tell me how you add vince and streit and scoring is down. You have six 20 plus goal scorers on two lines and your not scoring so obviously the problem is coaching. Players check out and stop believing in the system or press because system sucks. The year Pitt won the cup the changes coaches why because talent is there but coach is getting through. Maybe why Pitt hasn’t been back is because same style of play for to long teams figure it out. The year flyers went to the cup they changed coaches because team was underachieving obviously they had talent but coach wasn’t getting through. As far as Richards and carter they had to go. They were never going to win cup in philly plus it helps when u have Jonathan quick backstopping you to a cup. Richard and carter can thank quick for that cup. Plus they had good surrounding cast they were not the featured players to role players. Bobrovsky u regret but still when with the flyers he was lights out in first 48 gms then regressed in 2 nd half of season looking disinterested and allowed a lot of cheapies. I still think flyers gave up to easy on him. You can say style hurt bryz but bryz couldn’t even get pad on breakaways the shootout were a garaunteed win for other team he looked horrible and overmatched in everyone plus he let in a lot of softies. Thus is a business and people get to comftorable and messages get stale. A change up sometimes wakes people up. I just hope they find someone other than berube. The flyers have talent proven talent in fact guys don’t sore 20 goals a gm by accident multiple times in this league. You have to find right system for players so in my opinion no job is safe in nhl competition drives performance and if a change gets that performance out than so be it.

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I believe that’s Habib Marwan with a new handle. he loves trolling flyers posts and rarely comments on his own team.

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Haha sorry I’m not that guy. I rarely comment on pens post bc I’m busy driving back from the game, but you are right I do love to troll flyer articles. Also if you think laviolette system is holding back the flyers offense please explain how his system got all those young kids to 20 goal season to begin with? He didn’t change his teams style of play, the players just aren’t that good.

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

first off, I never said that his system is holding them back. but if you want an argument…. here it is. his system may not be holding them back, but the staleness is. please explain to ME how all those young kids got 20 goal seasons if they “aren’t that good.” you sure as hell can’t coach that many players to score goals for a whole season. they’ve got talent, but the vibe on the Flyers has changed. it’s not the same excitement we saw when Lavy first settled in and our top line was churning out the goals. our defense has been a media focal point for a year and a half plus, and I think it’s gotten in their heads. I don’t think Berube is the answer, but I DO expect to see a bit of that old excitement, strictly by a change of coaches and a change of lines. Hartnell needs moved down, Couturier needs to be held accountable and not given all this ice time until his game picks up, and Meszaros needs to go. I’d LOVE to see Glencross come into Hartnell’s spot, but like I said on the other post, I think Read could do some good for that line too. a major line shake-up will do this team good. playoff good, who knows. but I think they’ll be at least .500 by game 20.

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

“playoff good? who knows.”*
        my punctuation gave the wrong idea.

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I was responding to antmal with that system holding the players back statement, but I do agree with everything you just said ibieniid. Laviolette was the scape goat IMO, fans that think this is a fix all solution are kidding themselves. When bylsma replaced therein pens went from defense first to offense first approach. That was an example of a system holding back star talent. This was not.

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM

yeah but to be fair to us Flyers fans, when are coaches not scapegoats? it happens in every sport. a team is underachieving, you replace the coach to get a boost. even moreso in hockey. how many coaches coach one team for over 5 years? it’s a relatively small number. I understand the lack of excitement for Berube coming in, but I don’t see how everybody can say that a coaching change wasn’t for the better. they need to address these kids’ minds, not their X’s and O’s (except for some of them)… and experiencing their first NHL coaching change may just wake them up.

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

oh wow, I just read the end of antmel’s comment (i couldn’t make it through the horrible grammar/punctuation the first time) and he kinda already said everything I just said. apologies for the “stale message” lol

• President Charles Logan - Oct 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Habib Marwan is my old username … I’ve swapped back and forth with this PCL and that one . ….. when all else fails with this ibieniid and you cant have a logical and civil conversation with him, he usually resorts to the name calling and “troll” accusations

• ibieiniid - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM

oh I don’t know how I missed the 24 references…. you’re far more tame and insightful under Charles Logan than you were under Habib. use that one.

• mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Well said!! Glad to see other people with hockey knowledge.

32. hockeygod2893 - Oct 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Unfortunately Lavy’s system and style of play had become stale and predictable. After last year and this year’s terrible training camp it was only a matter of time until he was fired. Hopefully Berube can teach the defense how to effectively breakout of their own zone since it’s such a glaring problem. If that can be fixed, the offense should be able to find a flow to their game too. This better be a wake up call to the players who have all looked very lazy and disinterested in playing. I don’t have much faith right now for the rest of the season but here’s hoping they can turn things around.

33. sjsharks66 - Oct 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Im not a fan of the flyers or their coach but it is never good to see someone lose their job. I wish him the best of luck.
    King of the timeout will find a new job before the end of the year.

34. antmel30 - Oct 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Curious what I’m saying is other teams can catch onto a system and I think teams know how to counter. Plus lavy had the wrong system for personnel. The d is to slow to play his attack and go leaving players often tires and pinned in own zone for lengthy periods of time. The reason it used to work is flyers would get teams in a run and gun gm much like the pens like to play. That’s why flyers play pens tough or can come back on pens when they are down. The rest of the league plays the flyers a lot more d and slower pace chip and grind then the flyers are always trying to speed it up. That’s why teams like nj boston and other d minded teams usually wipe the floor with flyers. It’s no coincidence lavys record blew against nj ny and Boston they are all similar in style. That’s my argument the forwards are trying to catch up for slow d constantly have to play both end at a sprinter pace. So yes the system is wrong for the d we have they are mostly big bangers with some puck movers who ate old. They need to slow down pace for their personnel. No one cares either your a season ticket holder since the pens were relevant again. U will probably have season ticks for the pirates next year too while selling off your steelers ticks

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Haha i love when flyer fans say all pens fans are bandwagon fans. I sat through all the crap and am enjoying this time now. I never gave up on my team. Never left a game early, but yea I’m a bandwagon fan. I’m just happy I have gotten to see 3 cups in my lifetime. Have you seen one?? Haha no need to answer that, I think I know the answer.

35. blackandorangeforlife - Oct 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

On the bright side The Cheif is way more defensive oriented and with Lappy standing at his side this team might finally take that step forward…..I liked Lavy but it is true he does not adjust his system at all……..Ask Bysmal what happens when you refuse to bend to your teams needs…..The last 4 seasons prove that point!

36. bauxjangles - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I don’t know why people are relating this to when Pittsburgh. That was towards the end of the season and they weren’t as bad as Philly is now, they just needed to recalibrate their system. I think their goal is to just make it through the season in Philadelphia.

• blackandorangeforlife - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

It’s relative in the fact that both teams were underachieving immensely…In the Flyers case it is way to much talent to not only be 0-3 but only have 3 goals in 180 minutes of play…..And my comment was not about the past but more about the present!

37. bauxjangles - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

*when Pittsburgh won the Cup

38. DED - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Wow! One week into the season and a coach has already been chopped. Is that a record?

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches