Oct 7, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Seravalli reports assistant coach Craig Berube will take over. Whether that’s on an interim basis or not remains to be seen. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports John Paddock and Ian Laperriere will join as Berube’s assistants. He adds that assistant coach Kevin McCarthy was also let go.
After missing the postseason last year and getting off to an 0-3-0 start this season, rumors had already begun swirling that perhaps a trade was coming. Instead, it appears Laviolette’s time as bench boss is at an end.
Laviolette was hired during the 2009-10 season after John Stevens was dismissed as Flyers coach. That year he led Philly to the Stanley Cup Final before ultimately losing to the Chicago Blackhawks. He then led the team to the playoffs the next two seasons, bowing out in the second round each time.
According to Kevin Gibson of TSN Research, this is the quickest firing to start an NHL season.
A press conference has been called for 11 a.m. ET today in Philadelphia.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)