Oct 7, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Seravalli reports assistant coach Craig Berube will take over. Whether that’s on an interim basis or not remains to be seen. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports John Paddock and Ian Laperriere will join as Berube’s assistants. He adds that assistant coach Kevin McCarthy was also let go.
After missing the postseason last year and getting off to an 0-3-0 start this season, rumors had already begun swirling that perhaps a trade was coming. Instead, it appears Laviolette’s time as bench boss is at an end.
Laviolette was hired during the 2009-10 season after John Stevens was dismissed as Flyers coach. That year he led Philly to the Stanley Cup Final before ultimately losing to the Chicago Blackhawks. He then led the team to the playoffs the next two seasons, bowing out in the second round each time.
According to Kevin Gibson of TSN Research, this is the quickest firing to start an NHL season.
A press conference has been called for 11 a.m. ET today in Philadelphia.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)