Oct 7, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Seravalli reports assistant coach Craig Berube will take over. Whether that’s on an interim basis or not remains to be seen. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports John Paddock and Ian Laperriere will join as Berube’s assistants. He adds that assistant coach Kevin McCarthy was also let go.
After missing the postseason last year and getting off to an 0-3-0 start this season, rumors had already begun swirling that perhaps a trade was coming. Instead, it appears Laviolette’s time as bench boss is at an end.
Laviolette was hired during the 2009-10 season after John Stevens was dismissed as Flyers coach. That year he led Philly to the Stanley Cup Final before ultimately losing to the Chicago Blackhawks. He then led the team to the playoffs the next two seasons, bowing out in the second round each time.
According to Kevin Gibson of TSN Research, this is the quickest firing to start an NHL season.
A press conference has been called for 11 a.m. ET today in Philadelphia.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)