Oct 7, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Monday was a day of mixed news for the Canadiens.
Captain Brian Gionta, however, did not.
Gionta missed the flight for a personal matter, according to the Montreal Gazette. TVA’s Louis Jean said Gionta stayed in Montreal for “family reasons” and was hoping to join the team in time for Wednesday’s game in Calgary.
Not having Gionta would be a significant loss for Montreal. He’s been a point-a-game guy through the first two contests of the season (1G, 1A) and it’s still unclear if Pacioretty will be ready for the Flames tilt.
Should he not, there will be plenty of opportunities to get back in the lineup in the near future. Montreal is in Edmonton on Thursday, Vancouver on Saturday and Winnipeg next Tuesday.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (74)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)