Oct 7, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
After starting the season with back-to-back losses, Edmonton is shaking things up for Game 3.
On Monday, head coach Dallas Eakins announced that veteran alternate captain Ryan Smyth would be a healthy scratch for tonight’s home date with the Devils, and center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would play on a line with Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle in what’ll be RNH’s season debut.
“I’ve got my eyes set on 4-5 forwards who have not performed well,” Eakins said of the lineup changes. “Smytty’s out tonight. We’ll see about the rest.”
As for putting Nugent-Hopkins with Hall and Eberle, Eakins called it a “no-brainer.”
The Oilers have been outscored 11-6 in season-opening defeats to Winnipeg and Vancouver, something their rookie bench boss is none too pleased with. On Sunday, he said Edmonton fans had a right to be angry — “as angry as we are” — and re-iterated that message on Monday.
“We’ve lost two straight and people are pissed off,” Eakins said. “I love that.”
In another lineup move for tonight, backup goalie Jason LaBarbera will make first start for the Oilers. He replaces struggling starter Devan Dubnyk, currently boasting a 6.53 GAA and .831 save percentage.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)