Oct 7, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
After starting the season with back-to-back losses, Edmonton is shaking things up for Game 3.
On Monday, head coach Dallas Eakins announced that veteran alternate captain Ryan Smyth would be a healthy scratch for tonight’s home date with the Devils, and center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would play on a line with Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle in what’ll be RNH’s season debut.
“I’ve got my eyes set on 4-5 forwards who have not performed well,” Eakins said of the lineup changes. “Smytty’s out tonight. We’ll see about the rest.”
As for putting Nugent-Hopkins with Hall and Eberle, Eakins called it a “no-brainer.”
The Oilers have been outscored 11-6 in season-opening defeats to Winnipeg and Vancouver, something their rookie bench boss is none too pleased with. On Sunday, he said Edmonton fans had a right to be angry — “as angry as we are” — and re-iterated that message on Monday.
“We’ve lost two straight and people are pissed off,” Eakins said. “I love that.”
In another lineup move for tonight, backup goalie Jason LaBarbera will make first start for the Oilers. He replaces struggling starter Devan Dubnyk, currently boasting a 6.53 GAA and .831 save percentage.
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 1
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)