Oct 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs made a pair of recalls on Monday, bringing up tough guy Jamie Devane and Trevor Smith, the captain of the AHL Marlies.
Devane, 22, made his NHL debut on Saturday in a win against Ottawa and was then promptly send back to the Marlies for Sunday’s game against Lake Erie, in which he registered an assist.
Smith, 28, joined the Leafs organization this season after spending time with the Islanders, Lightning and Penguins. He was named Marlies captain following training camp and got off to a red-hot start, scoring five minutes in his first two games.
The Leafs play at home on Tuesday against Colorado. It’s unclear if either Devane or Smith will draw into the lineup — the Leafs are expected to be juggling guys up and down from the AHL throughout the season due to salary cap restrictions.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 7
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)