Oct 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs made a pair of recalls on Monday, bringing up tough guy Jamie Devane and Trevor Smith, the captain of the AHL Marlies.
Devane, 22, made his NHL debut on Saturday in a win against Ottawa and was then promptly send back to the Marlies for Sunday’s game against Lake Erie, in which he registered an assist.
Smith, 28, joined the Leafs organization this season after spending time with the Islanders, Lightning and Penguins. He was named Marlies captain following training camp and got off to a red-hot start, scoring five minutes in his first two games.
The Leafs play at home on Tuesday against Colorado. It’s unclear if either Devane or Smith will draw into the lineup — the Leafs are expected to be juggling guys up and down from the AHL throughout the season due to salary cap restrictions.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)