Oct 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs made a pair of recalls on Monday, bringing up tough guy Jamie Devane and Trevor Smith, the captain of the AHL Marlies.
Devane, 22, made his NHL debut on Saturday in a win against Ottawa and was then promptly send back to the Marlies for Sunday’s game against Lake Erie, in which he registered an assist.
Smith, 28, joined the Leafs organization this season after spending time with the Islanders, Lightning and Penguins. He was named Marlies captain following training camp and got off to a red-hot start, scoring five minutes in his first two games.
The Leafs play at home on Tuesday against Colorado. It’s unclear if either Devane or Smith will draw into the lineup — the Leafs are expected to be juggling guys up and down from the AHL throughout the season due to salary cap restrictions.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5