Oct 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs made a pair of recalls on Monday, bringing up tough guy Jamie Devane and Trevor Smith, the captain of the AHL Marlies.
Devane, 22, made his NHL debut on Saturday in a win against Ottawa and was then promptly send back to the Marlies for Sunday’s game against Lake Erie, in which he registered an assist.
Smith, 28, joined the Leafs organization this season after spending time with the Islanders, Lightning and Penguins. He was named Marlies captain following training camp and got off to a red-hot start, scoring five minutes in his first two games.
The Leafs play at home on Tuesday against Colorado. It’s unclear if either Devane or Smith will draw into the lineup — the Leafs are expected to be juggling guys up and down from the AHL throughout the season due to salary cap restrictions.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20