Oct 7, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
Heading into the season. St. Louis made a conscious decision to give Jaroslav Halak the majority of the starts this year.
Now it sounds like he might get all of them — at least for now.
On Monday, head coach Ken Hitchcock said there was “no reason” Halak couldn’t play all of the Blues’ early games, thanks to a schedule that sees them play just six times in 14 days.
“There’s such a big break between games,” Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “We’ll go with Jaro tonight and then see how it goes … with all these breaks between games there’s no reason one guy can’t play to start the season.”
Halak has been in goal for St. Louis’ first two games — wins over the Preds (4-2) and Panthers (7-0) — and will likely get the call again on Wednesday for a big rivalry match against the defending Cup champion Blackhawks.
From there, the Blues don’t play again until Saturday (Oct. 12), then Tuesday (Oct. 15, against the Rangers), then Thursday (Oct. 17, against the ‘Hawks again).
Add it all up, and it’s possible Brian Elliott doesn’t see the net until Friday, Oct. 18 vs. Winnipeg — the second of a back-to-back.
“You’re looking probably on back-to-backs and three (games) in four nights we’re going to certainly make the move then,” Hitchcock explained. “Brian’s last two days have been the best we’ve ever seen from him this year, so he looks like he’s ready to go.”
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 0
- Video: Shattenkirk injured, won’t return after collision with Ovechkin 1
- Ovechkin becomes fifth player to start career with 10 straight 30+ goal seasons 1
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 2
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 23
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5