Oct 7, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Heading into the season. St. Louis made a conscious decision to give Jaroslav Halak the majority of the starts this year.
Now it sounds like he might get all of them — at least for now.
On Monday, head coach Ken Hitchcock said there was “no reason” Halak couldn’t play all of the Blues’ early games, thanks to a schedule that sees them play just six times in 14 days.
“There’s such a big break between games,” Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “We’ll go with Jaro tonight and then see how it goes … with all these breaks between games there’s no reason one guy can’t play to start the season.”
Halak has been in goal for St. Louis’ first two games — wins over the Preds (4-2) and Panthers (7-0) — and will likely get the call again on Wednesday for a big rivalry match against the defending Cup champion Blackhawks.
From there, the Blues don’t play again until Saturday (Oct. 12), then Tuesday (Oct. 15, against the Rangers), then Thursday (Oct. 17, against the ‘Hawks again).
Add it all up, and it’s possible Brian Elliott doesn’t see the net until Friday, Oct. 18 vs. Winnipeg — the second of a back-to-back.
“You’re looking probably on back-to-backs and three (games) in four nights we’re going to certainly make the move then,” Hitchcock explained. “Brian’s last two days have been the best we’ve ever seen from him this year, so he looks like he’s ready to go.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)