Oct 7, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Heading into the season. St. Louis made a conscious decision to give Jaroslav Halak the majority of the starts this year.
Now it sounds like he might get all of them — at least for now.
On Monday, head coach Ken Hitchcock said there was “no reason” Halak couldn’t play all of the Blues’ early games, thanks to a schedule that sees them play just six times in 14 days.
“There’s such a big break between games,” Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “We’ll go with Jaro tonight and then see how it goes … with all these breaks between games there’s no reason one guy can’t play to start the season.”
Halak has been in goal for St. Louis’ first two games — wins over the Preds (4-2) and Panthers (7-0) — and will likely get the call again on Wednesday for a big rivalry match against the defending Cup champion Blackhawks.
From there, the Blues don’t play again until Saturday (Oct. 12), then Tuesday (Oct. 15, against the Rangers), then Thursday (Oct. 17, against the ‘Hawks again).
Add it all up, and it’s possible Brian Elliott doesn’t see the net until Friday, Oct. 18 vs. Winnipeg — the second of a back-to-back.
“You’re looking probably on back-to-backs and three (games) in four nights we’re going to certainly make the move then,” Hitchcock explained. “Brian’s last two days have been the best we’ve ever seen from him this year, so he looks like he’s ready to go.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (52)