Oct 7, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Heading into the season. St. Louis made a conscious decision to give Jaroslav Halak the majority of the starts this year.
Now it sounds like he might get all of them — at least for now.
On Monday, head coach Ken Hitchcock said there was “no reason” Halak couldn’t play all of the Blues’ early games, thanks to a schedule that sees them play just six times in 14 days.
“There’s such a big break between games,” Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “We’ll go with Jaro tonight and then see how it goes … with all these breaks between games there’s no reason one guy can’t play to start the season.”
Halak has been in goal for St. Louis’ first two games — wins over the Preds (4-2) and Panthers (7-0) — and will likely get the call again on Wednesday for a big rivalry match against the defending Cup champion Blackhawks.
From there, the Blues don’t play again until Saturday (Oct. 12), then Tuesday (Oct. 15, against the Rangers), then Thursday (Oct. 17, against the ‘Hawks again).
Add it all up, and it’s possible Brian Elliott doesn’t see the net until Friday, Oct. 18 vs. Winnipeg — the second of a back-to-back.
“You’re looking probably on back-to-backs and three (games) in four nights we’re going to certainly make the move then,” Hitchcock explained. “Brian’s last two days have been the best we’ve ever seen from him this year, so he looks like he’s ready to go.”
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 29
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 89
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)