Oct 7, 2013, 3:13 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes could be getting some lineup reinforcements for a big two-game trip through Pittsburgh and Washington.
“We’ll see how (Ruutu) feels and where he’s at tomorrow,” ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller told the Raleigh News & Observer.
Ruutu returned to practice on Monday in a non-contact capacity and while Gleason did travel with the club, Muller said the 30-year-old rearguard still remains sidelined.
Despite missing two of their more veteran presences, the ‘Canes have gotten off to a good start this year. They’ve captured three of a possible four points after an OT loss to Detroit and a 2-1 win over Philly on Sunday, the latter cementing Peter Laviolette’s fate as the Flyers turfed him early Monday morning.
Should Ruutu return to the lineup, it’s possible that Drayson Bowman will be dropped. The 24-year-old plays the wing but has only averaged 8:27 TOI through two games thus far. Of course, it’s also possible the club could drop one of its younger forwards — Elias LIndholm or Brett Sutter — to make room for Ruutu.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)