Oct 7, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes could be getting some lineup reinforcements for a big two-game trip through Pittsburgh and Washington.
“We’ll see how (Ruutu) feels and where he’s at tomorrow,” ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller told the Raleigh News & Observer.
Ruutu returned to practice on Monday in a non-contact capacity and while Gleason did travel with the club, Muller said the 30-year-old rearguard still remains sidelined.
Despite missing two of their more veteran presences, the ‘Canes have gotten off to a good start this year. They’ve captured three of a possible four points after an OT loss to Detroit and a 2-1 win over Philly on Sunday, the latter cementing Peter Laviolette’s fate as the Flyers turfed him early Monday morning.
Should Ruutu return to the lineup, it’s possible that Drayson Bowman will be dropped. The 24-year-old plays the wing but has only averaged 8:27 TOI through two games thus far. Of course, it’s also possible the club could drop one of its younger forwards — Elias LIndholm or Brett Sutter — to make room for Ruutu.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)