Oct 7, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Tuesday: Florida at Philadelphia (7 p.m. ET)
Craig Berube’s first game as head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers after Peter Laviolette was fired today. We already mentioned it here, but it bears repeating: the Flyers have scored three goals in their first three games, all outright losses. Theoretically, they should come out with a much-improved effort Tuesday. The Panthers, meanwhile, started the season well with a 4-2 win in Dallas, but a 7-0 loss in St. Louis kind of put a damper on things.
Tuesday: New Jersey at Vancouver (10 p.m. ET)
Cory Schneider makes his return to Rogers Arena after the shocking draft-day trade that sent him to New Jersey for the Devils’ first-round pick. The 27-year-old lost his first start with his new team, a 3-0 decision Thursday in Pittsburgh. He’s expected to get his second start versus the Canucks, and with his old teammate, Robert Luongo, at the other end of the ice. Can you say “media circus”?
Wednesday: Chicago at St. Louis (8 p.m. ET)
NBCSN continues its “Wednesday Night Rivalry” series with two of the best teams in the league, not to mention a couple of clubs that have been division rivals since 1970.
That was fun.
Thursday: Colorado at Boston (7 p.m. ET)
The Avs play Tuesday in Toronto, so there’s a chance they may not be undefeated anymore by the time they play the B’s. Still, this one should be a good test for Patrick Roy’s troops, who’ve looked pretty darn good so far. Colorado hammered Anaheim, 6-1, to open its schedule then beat Nashville, 3-1, in its next outing. Both those victories came at home though, and Boston is no easy place to play, as evidenced by the Bruins’ first two games, both wins at TD Garden.
Friday: NY Islanders at Chicago (8 p.m. ET)
Two teams that know how to put the puck in the net. The ‘Hawks finished second in goals per game (3.10) in 2013, while New York was seventh (2.81). The Isles have opened the season with two straight trips to the shootout; they won the first one versus New Jersey and lost the second to Columbus. They’ll play Phoenix on Long Island Tuesday before traveling to Chicago to meet the champs.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)