Oct 7, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
The Rangers will have a couple of new bodies in the lineup tonight when they take on the Kings in Los Angeles.
First and foremost, tonight will mark the return of captain Ryan Callahan, who’s been recovering from offseason shoulder surgery and missed Thursday’s season-opening 4-1 loss to the Coyotes in Phoenix.
Also making his season debut at the Staples Center will be tough winger Arron Asham, who will replace rookie Jesper Fast, according to the New York Daily News.
There’s good reason for Asham’s inclusion.
“We’re playing against one of the biggest teams in the NHL (on Monday), Stanley Cup champions two years ago, a team that rolls four lines, has got great lines up front,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said yesterday. “They use their size, and they’ve got size on defense.”
Vigneault knows all about the Kings, the same team that eliminated the Canucks in 2012 when he was still the coach in Vancouver.
By the way, tonight will be the second game of the Rangers’ daunting nine-game road trip to start the season while their home rink, Madison Square Garden, undergoes renovations. After tonight, they play tomorrow in San Jose, Thursday in Anaheim and Saturday in St. Louis. That’s four games in six nights against teams that made the playoffs last season in the Western Conference. And after that there are still four away games left on the trip, in Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey and Detroit.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)