Oct 6, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild announced that they recalled Jason Zucker from the AHL after learning that Charlie Coyle (pictured) will miss three-to-four weeks with a sprained knee.
No doubt, that’s a tough loss for the Wild, who were playing Coyle, 21, as a second-line forward. Some were expecting him to have a breakout sophomore season, which is still possible even though he might not be back until November.
As often happens with sports, one man’s loss is another player’s gain. Zucker, 21, was one of the final cuts for the Wild out of training camp after an up-and-down preseason.
With Coyle out, This most likely means that Mikael Granlund will be shifted to 2nd line center, and Jason Zucker has been recalled from Iowa. He had been nursing his groin injury until a couple of days ago, so hopefully it will not be an issue. It will be interesting to see what happens once Coyle comes back and who gets shifted back to the AHL.
Granlund, also 21, has been considered a player to watch pretty often lately, so the bright side is that some other young players will get some extra responsibilities.
In the grand scheme of things, the Wild can’t be pleased, though.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)