Oct 6, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild announced that they recalled Jason Zucker from the AHL after learning that Charlie Coyle (pictured) will miss three-to-four weeks with a sprained knee.
No doubt, that’s a tough loss for the Wild, who were playing Coyle, 21, as a second-line forward. Some were expecting him to have a breakout sophomore season, which is still possible even though he might not be back until November.
As often happens with sports, one man’s loss is another player’s gain. Zucker, 21, was one of the final cuts for the Wild out of training camp after an up-and-down preseason.
With Coyle out, This most likely means that Mikael Granlund will be shifted to 2nd line center, and Jason Zucker has been recalled from Iowa. He had been nursing his groin injury until a couple of days ago, so hopefully it will not be an issue. It will be interesting to see what happens once Coyle comes back and who gets shifted back to the AHL.
Granlund, also 21, has been considered a player to watch pretty often lately, so the bright side is that some other young players will get some extra responsibilities.
In the grand scheme of things, the Wild can’t be pleased, though.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)