Oct 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have looked rather machine-like in how they’ve beaten teams to start the season and it’s a rookie that’s helping them do it.
2012 first-round pick, 19-year-old Tomas Hertl is showing the team he’s ready to be a factor now. In Saturday night’s win over Phoenix he scored his first two career goals. Through the Sharks first two games he has three points and is quickly earning the respect of his veteran teammates.
As Kevin Kurz from CSNBayArea.com shares, coach Todd McLellan likes what he saw against the Coyotes.
“It’s a big night for him, an exciting night, and one that he’ll remember for a long time. And, one that we’ll all remember as well,” he said. “We were part of his first goal, and second win. More importantly, the group played really, really well.”
Rookies getting off to a big start are always good for attention grabbing early in the season, but Hertl’s play so far has some thinking he’ll be a factor all year long.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 66
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 93
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (93)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)