Oct 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have looked rather machine-like in how they’ve beaten teams to start the season and it’s a rookie that’s helping them do it.
2012 first-round pick, 19-year-old Tomas Hertl is showing the team he’s ready to be a factor now. In Saturday night’s win over Phoenix he scored his first two career goals. Through the Sharks first two games he has three points and is quickly earning the respect of his veteran teammates.
As Kevin Kurz from CSNBayArea.com shares, coach Todd McLellan likes what he saw against the Coyotes.
“It’s a big night for him, an exciting night, and one that he’ll remember for a long time. And, one that we’ll all remember as well,” he said. “We were part of his first goal, and second win. More importantly, the group played really, really well.”
Rookies getting off to a big start are always good for attention grabbing early in the season, but Hertl’s play so far has some thinking he’ll be a factor all year long.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)