Oct 6, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
While tonight’s NHL schedule is light, perhaps the most heart-warming game of the day is set to take place in Winnipeg.
The Anaheim Ducks face the Jets in Winnipeg and with it being their only visit there this season, it’s their chance to say goodbye to future Hall of Famer Teemu Selanne.
Selanne, who says he’s retiring after this season, began his career in Winnipeg in a most triumphant way breaking the rookie goal-scoring record with an incredible 76 goals in 1992-93. When he returned to the city two seasons ago, it made for one of the year’s most emotional scenes as it was the first time he’d played there since being traded by the original Winnipeg Jets to Anaheim in 1996.
Tonight, they’ll say farewell to him for the final time… Unless the two teams manage to face each other in the postseason. This may be one of the few, if not only, times a visiting player could score a goal and get a standing ovation for it.
In case you’ve forgotten or missed it, here’s video of that moment back in 2011 as Jets fans saluted Selanne during the game.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)