Oct 6, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
While tonight’s NHL schedule is light, perhaps the most heart-warming game of the day is set to take place in Winnipeg.
The Anaheim Ducks face the Jets in Winnipeg and with it being their only visit there this season, it’s their chance to say goodbye to future Hall of Famer Teemu Selanne.
Selanne, who says he’s retiring after this season, began his career in Winnipeg in a most triumphant way breaking the rookie goal-scoring record with an incredible 76 goals in 1992-93. When he returned to the city two seasons ago, it made for one of the year’s most emotional scenes as it was the first time he’d played there since being traded by the original Winnipeg Jets to Anaheim in 1996.
Tonight, they’ll say farewell to him for the final time… Unless the two teams manage to face each other in the postseason. This may be one of the few, if not only, times a visiting player could score a goal and get a standing ovation for it.
In case you’ve forgotten or missed it, here’s video of that moment back in 2011 as Jets fans saluted Selanne during the game.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 38
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 115
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)