Oct 6, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
While tonight’s NHL schedule is light, perhaps the most heart-warming game of the day is set to take place in Winnipeg.
The Anaheim Ducks face the Jets in Winnipeg and with it being their only visit there this season, it’s their chance to say goodbye to future Hall of Famer Teemu Selanne.
Selanne, who says he’s retiring after this season, began his career in Winnipeg in a most triumphant way breaking the rookie goal-scoring record with an incredible 76 goals in 1992-93. When he returned to the city two seasons ago, it made for one of the year’s most emotional scenes as it was the first time he’d played there since being traded by the original Winnipeg Jets to Anaheim in 1996.
Tonight, they’ll say farewell to him for the final time… Unless the two teams manage to face each other in the postseason. This may be one of the few, if not only, times a visiting player could score a goal and get a standing ovation for it.
In case you’ve forgotten or missed it, here’s video of that moment back in 2011 as Jets fans saluted Selanne during the game.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)