Oct 6, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
While tonight’s NHL schedule is light, perhaps the most heart-warming game of the day is set to take place in Winnipeg.
The Anaheim Ducks face the Jets in Winnipeg and with it being their only visit there this season, it’s their chance to say goodbye to future Hall of Famer Teemu Selanne.
Selanne, who says he’s retiring after this season, began his career in Winnipeg in a most triumphant way breaking the rookie goal-scoring record with an incredible 76 goals in 1992-93. When he returned to the city two seasons ago, it made for one of the year’s most emotional scenes as it was the first time he’d played there since being traded by the original Winnipeg Jets to Anaheim in 1996.
Tonight, they’ll say farewell to him for the final time… Unless the two teams manage to face each other in the postseason. This may be one of the few, if not only, times a visiting player could score a goal and get a standing ovation for it.
In case you’ve forgotten or missed it, here’s video of that moment back in 2011 as Jets fans saluted Selanne during the game.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)