Oct 6, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
No doubt about it, the Edmonton Oilers have had a disappointing start to the 2013-14 season, going 0-2-0 while being out-scored 11-6. Some would call that “same old, same old,” but new head coach Dallas Eakins isn’t having it.
“The city and the fans should be angry, as angry as we are,” Eakins said. “It’s great that they care. Our team is upset too.”
The Oilers know that early results can be deceptive, even if their example isn’t quite what they want; they began the 2011-12 season with a promising 8-2-2 record before finishing in the basement as usual.
Eakins notes that he’s seen some “flashes of good” but that those old, losing habits are showing up far too often.
One player who did earn some praise was Ales Hemsky. The 30-year-old might have a -3 rating, but he also has three points in two games.
“He’s been unbelievable,” Eakins said. “We need more Ales Hemsky’s on our team right now. He’s playing with tremendous passion.”
Perhaps the team will show a little more of that passion in Monday’s game against the New Jersey Devils with backup Jason LaBarbera in net?
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)