Oct 6, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
No doubt about it, the Edmonton Oilers have had a disappointing start to the 2013-14 season, going 0-2-0 while being out-scored 11-6. Some would call that “same old, same old,” but new head coach Dallas Eakins isn’t having it.
“The city and the fans should be angry, as angry as we are,” Eakins said. “It’s great that they care. Our team is upset too.”
The Oilers know that early results can be deceptive, even if their example isn’t quite what they want; they began the 2011-12 season with a promising 8-2-2 record before finishing in the basement as usual.
Eakins notes that he’s seen some “flashes of good” but that those old, losing habits are showing up far too often.
One player who did earn some praise was Ales Hemsky. The 30-year-old might have a -3 rating, but he also has three points in two games.
“He’s been unbelievable,” Eakins said. “We need more Ales Hemsky’s on our team right now. He’s playing with tremendous passion.”
Perhaps the team will show a little more of that passion in Monday’s game against the New Jersey Devils with backup Jason LaBarbera in net?
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)