Oct 6, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
No doubt about it, the Edmonton Oilers have had a disappointing start to the 2013-14 season, going 0-2-0 while being out-scored 11-6. Some would call that “same old, same old,” but new head coach Dallas Eakins isn’t having it.
“The city and the fans should be angry, as angry as we are,” Eakins said. “It’s great that they care. Our team is upset too.”
The Oilers know that early results can be deceptive, even if their example isn’t quite what they want; they began the 2011-12 season with a promising 8-2-2 record before finishing in the basement as usual.
Eakins notes that he’s seen some “flashes of good” but that those old, losing habits are showing up far too often.
One player who did earn some praise was Ales Hemsky. The 30-year-old might have a -3 rating, but he also has three points in two games.
“He’s been unbelievable,” Eakins said. “We need more Ales Hemsky’s on our team right now. He’s playing with tremendous passion.”
Perhaps the team will show a little more of that passion in Monday’s game against the New Jersey Devils with backup Jason LaBarbera in net?
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)