Oct 6, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
No doubt about it, the Edmonton Oilers have had a disappointing start to the 2013-14 season, going 0-2-0 while being out-scored 11-6. Some would call that “same old, same old,” but new head coach Dallas Eakins isn’t having it.
“The city and the fans should be angry, as angry as we are,” Eakins said. “It’s great that they care. Our team is upset too.”
The Oilers know that early results can be deceptive, even if their example isn’t quite what they want; they began the 2011-12 season with a promising 8-2-2 record before finishing in the basement as usual.
Eakins notes that he’s seen some “flashes of good” but that those old, losing habits are showing up far too often.
One player who did earn some praise was Ales Hemsky. The 30-year-old might have a -3 rating, but he also has three points in two games.
“He’s been unbelievable,” Eakins said. “We need more Ales Hemsky’s on our team right now. He’s playing with tremendous passion.”
Perhaps the team will show a little more of that passion in Monday’s game against the New Jersey Devils with backup Jason LaBarbera in net?
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 14
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)