NHL deems Abdelkader-Marchand hit ‘accidental collision’

Oct 6, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT

Many were wondering if Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader would face supplementary discipline for his hit on Boston’s Brad Marchand during a 4-1 loss at TD Garden on Saturday.

Well, he won’t.

NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan addressed the hit via Twitter early Sunday morning, classifying it as an “accidental collision.”

The incident occurred at the 3:30 mark of the second period. Marchand was shaken up but did manage to skate off under his own power and return to the game. There was no penalty on the play:

Shanahan then posted the following video, which explains the NHL’s criteria for an accidental collision:

It’s worth noting that Abdelkader has run afoul of the league’s disciplinary department before. He was suspended two games during the opening round of last year’s playoffs for charging Anaheim defenseman Toni Lydman.

1. pxland - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM

When I “accidentally” jump on people I get kicked out of the library. What gives?

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM

perfect…

• mp1131211 - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM

You probably get kicked out for shooting a puck across the room, too. What’s your point?

• imleftcoast - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

If you believe this, I have a hockey franchise in the desert I’d like to sell you.

2. bigbadbruins77 - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I think the Bruins players agreed. Or they would have gone after him.

• drewsylvania - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Chara did give him extra later on.

• polegojim - Oct 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Exactly Big… totally unintentional. If he intended to hit him, the shoulder would have dropped and looked WAY different…. to experienced hockey fans.

See comments below from 6 games a year folks who say differently.

3. skr213 - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Seriously? C’mon now. He jumped up as he made the hit.

• stakex - Oct 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Ever consider he’s trying to avoid the hit with that jump? Notice that he doesn’t go through Marchand but rather just bounces off of him. If he was really trying to jump into a check, his body would react differently after contact.

• drewsylvania - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Not if he was trying to make it look like it wasn’t intentional and thus get away with a leaping cross-check to the head.

• sabatimus - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

He’s trying to avoid a hit by jumping into an opposing player while cross-checking him in the head? Riiiight. The scarier part here is that there is currently at least 11 other people who agree with your argument.

4. lilg740 - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM

This comes to mind….

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Trust me, it’s wearing thin for us in Boston… He makes us look bad, and I’m never sure anymore when he’s faking. He had a concussion and missed 3 games last season, and I will admit, Abdelkader did leave his feet and hit him in the head, but when you dive like he has no ones going to believe it when you finally are hurt. I don’t know… Marchand better start playing better and stop trying to do everything. If I’m Loui Eriksson right now, never getting a pass because Brad is trying to pull moves around everyone and getting stripped of the puck, or making EVERY play offsides because he tries some stupid move, I’d be pretty aggravated right now.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 6, 2013 at 2:17 AM

If people are doubting and giving the negative thumbs to me because of the playing better part, have you watched the last two games? After what Julien called a “mediocre” training camp? He looks lost and unmotivated at times, has skated into his own teammates on at least 3 occasions trying to dangle, and has had more giveaways from getting the puck stripped from him trying to make the highlight play instead of the simple one right in front of him. Its not like I’m the only one noticing this.. Yeah, he scored a goal, but that says more to his shot than anything else. We’ve always known he’s had that. What made Brad Brad was his ability to grind and get himself in a position to score.

I’m from Boston, and have been a diehard fan since my Mother worked for the front office in the legal department as a kid. I’m not spouting off because I’m dissing “our guys”. I’m spouting off because I’m seeing a guy who isn’t playing up to his potential, and his caused the floodgates to open with a hypocritical video like the one above. How can we as a team call out another team for diving when we have a guy who’s been caught admitting he dives? Yes, I believe he was hurt tonight. But crying wolf is only going to get you more reactions like the video above, and honestly, as a real fan, I’m sick of anyone having ANYTHING bad to say about my team, unless our level of play deserves it.

• pastabelly - Oct 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM

You don’t speak for Bruins fans and can’t begin to know if Marchand was hurt or not. Anyone getting into this kind of drama so early in the season has issues and nobody cares if your mother worked for the Bruins.

• madtolive5 - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM

You are an idiot.
        Datsyuk stayed down on the ice also …was he faking?
        The dude took a pretty nasty hit. Even if was an accident and not a penalty, the still has a 200+ guy blind side him at top speed.

• drewsylvania - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Faking? You didn’t watch the hit or the aftermath.

• sabatimus - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

My grandfather’s Richard Petty.

• sabatimus - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I was also Wayne Gretzky’s father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.

• micasa81 - Oct 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Hey, if more people had your objectivity, I think I’d be able to talk hockey with a few people in this town (Boston). I do disagree, though, I don’t think Marchand was faking it. At least, if he was, he chose an incident where it would seem very credible for him to be shaken up. I have no love for the guy, and I haven’t watched him play at all this year, but at least in this instance, I wouldn’t heap any further blame on him.

5. 19to77 - Oct 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM

So the next time someone jumps into a hit, they should use this as precedence. Clearly, jumping into hits is completely fair, clean and legal in the NHL.

(I’m being sarcastic, Shanahan, call the f*cking hit what it is)

6. mizbinboston - Oct 6, 2013 at 2:51 AM

C’mon guys. Abby has no record of dirty hits. He was clearly focused on the play,saw a stick or whatever and tried to jump up last minute (while still focused on the play). BAM. Like you’ve never got hit and while making sure everything was intact you maybe thought you made a pretty stupid decision. It’s unfortunate it was Marchand because he’s secretly a guy every Detroit fan would love. Instead, we have Tootoo.

• sabatimus - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

About that “no record of dirty hits”:

7. stakex - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Abdelkader clearly makes an effort to pull up at the last second, and the hit was a lot more like a firm bump. Even money says Marchand was down on the ice just trying to draw a five… like he’s done numerous times in the past. Perhaps he really was shaken up, but he’s lost the benefit of the doubt with his past action.

As for the “jump”, its a natural reaction when you look up and see you are about to run into someone. You can’t cut that fast, so players tend to try and jump out of the way… and sometimes this happen. If Abdelkader was really trying to level him, he wouldn’t have held up like he does.

Of course Boston fans will see a heartless attack on one of their players no matter what their eyes and the facts tell them.

• Moop - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Sorry bud, but as a Bruins fan I’ve seen few, if any, people saying it was a dirty hit. Don’t judge us all for what a few say, most of us know hockey.

8. titansbro - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Eh, looked accidental to me. Just remember, Bruins fans are not like Habs fans whining about every bit of contact.

• micasa81 - Oct 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

“Just remember, Bruins fans are not like Habs fans whining about every bit of contact.”

Whoa, whoa, read the comments of your fellow Bruins fans here before you whip out the old time-honored Bostonian “not like the Habs” schtick.

Other than that, kudos to you for maintaining some objectivity.

9. packerswin96 - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

It is quite simple, if the biggest Homer duo in sports think that it was an accidental hit then it was.

• sabatimus - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I don’t value Jack Edwards’ opinions on a lot of things, but Brick was wrong here.

10. drewsylvania - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

The fact that it was Marchand had nothing to do with it, of course.

• drewsylvania - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

If you think Brickley is a homer, you don’t watch too many of their broadcasts.

11. killerpgh - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Shanny knows about “accidental collision” Scary collision from years back involving Shanny and Kunble.

12. greebs2013 - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM

looked like a blind side, interference, cross check, head hit to me!!..take your pick, it should be punished.

• joey4id - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

when two players don’t see each other coming until the very last second before a collision they will attempt to protect themselves. That’s just a natural instinct. The player who is fortunate enough to have that final second to react will brace himself, and/or raise his stick, and/or jump, or duck depending on the danger coming his way. These are all natural reflexes for a hockey player in this situation.

13. timpala11 - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Anyone that plays hockey knows that the last minute ditch in an apparent collision is to leave your skates and hope to jump around and brush the other player.

I would know, I play in mens’ leagues and the vast majority of the players skate with their heads down, so you have to do it frequently.

• timpala11 - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I should have said last second.

14. buffhockeynutt - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Accidental collision……WHAT !??!?!?!?! Here’s B. Shanahan trying to prove to us again that he never played the game. Abdelkader was locked in from the blue line right to the back of Marchand’s head.

• sunderlanding - Oct 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I’ll take a hockey professionals opinion over some clown sitting in his moms basement. This was accidental. Grow up.

15. Moop - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I’m a huge Bruins fan and it was an accidental collision. Nothing for anyone to be suspended about, but if you think Marchand was “clearly” trying to draw a penalty…

He was still hit by a guy going a pretty decent speed down the ice, did not see Abdelkader coming, and also collides with Datsyuk during the play. This is not a situation where a player who has been known in the past to try and draw a call does not get the benefit of the doubt.

16. hockeyflow33 - Oct 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I thought going in to this article that no one could have thought it was purposeful but once again, the intelligence of commenters on here never disappoints.

17. nhstateline - Oct 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Marchand was hurt, not faking. He was down for a long time and barely moved for most of it. He was also laboring on the first couple of shifts after he surprisingly came back. Just like the rest of the Bruins, if he really cares about this, he can deal with Abdelkader in person, himself next monday. Detroit’s right back here that afternoon. Not sure what the rest of them thought because none of them went after Abdelkader and all Chara did was yell and bang. They didn’t seem that outraged by it.

18. matt14gg - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM

No one in Boston had a problem with this hit. It was fine. Marchand got shaken up and was back a few minutes later. I know every sleuth on the internet wants to CSI every play that happens and they know THE TRUTH cuz they have a mom that used to work for the team, but sometimes simple inadvertant collisions happen and don’t require multiple paragraphs to breakdown the conspiracy. Simple hit, no one’s mad, move on.

19. matt14gg - Oct 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

From Brad Marchand in the Boston Herald today. No issues with this hit.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches